1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question - ryzen 5 2600x with windows 7 - CPU damaged

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by wolfgangam, Dec 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wolfgangam

wolfgangam Thread Starter

Hi,

So I installed windows 7 on ryzen 5 2600x , had no issues installing, was very easy...
    I then had to install a lot of updates because it was an old installation (I installed them during a shutdown process and not while logged into windows) , but the updates could not install, it kept reverting changes...
    I worked without the updates for about a week and then I installed them again (while logged in) and didn't restart the PC for a few days , and when I did, it again could not install update and got into reverting changes loop which I could not get out of.
    So... with little choice (tried everything to get it to stop) , I reinstalled windows from latest installation and when it finished, BSOD again, never got to the desktop, just BSOD loop....
    I again tried everything to fix it , but after 2 days of trying, the computer stopped booting up at all (it starts, but nothing on the screen, can't get to bios, nothing) .

I got it to the technician where I bought it (since it's a new computer, month old) and after checking, they told me the CPU had to be replaced, and that it's possible that windows 7 caused it since that CPU does not suppose to support windows 7....

SO..... my question to you guys, does it make much sense that Win-7 destroyed the CPU and I should not install it again OR it's just a coincidence and it's more likely it was damaged in the first place ?

I really hate windows 10 , I tried it first for a week on that computer and I could not stand it, there were so many bugs, there were lags when typing, it took me 30 min to change the default TXT files program (and I know how, it just didn't work.... ) , and so many other things that I'm just used to do a certain way and they chnaged it... I really don't want it... :)

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

I don't think Win 7 can Destroy a CPU. Re-install the CPU, apply minimal thermal paste. and make sure the cpu cooler is clamped on properly. Then see what happens.

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Please list the rest of the computer hardware, motherboard, ram, graphics card. The full details for each please.

If you get no display at all check the graphics card is fully pushed down in it's slot. Also if you have a gaphics card make sure you have plugged the video cable into it and not the motherboard !

The usual problem with Windows 7 on a Ryzen motherboard is lack of Usb 3.0 drivers. How did you make your install media for 7 ?

4. wolfgangam

Hi Manged - The fault is not in question since the CPU (and the whole computer) has already been checked by a professional and has been replaced, what's in question is if windows-7 could have caused it (which is what I was told)

Motherboard - Asus Prime X370-Pro
    2 X 8GB corsair vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 MHZ
    Samsung SSD 860 Evo 250GB
    Nvidia Gt-1030
    Antec Eco 550W Neo power supply

As for the installation, either I got lucky or it's something that I did, I first added to the windows installation the needed USB drivers as described here: https://community.spiceworks.com/ho...drive-to-install-windows-using-a-usb-3-0-port
    but when I started the installation it still didn't recognize the USB, so I switched to a different USB port (green color - there are blue colored ports on that board and green colored ports) and it worked without any further issues at all.
    The reason I'm saying that I'm not sure that if adding the drivers is what did the trick , is because when I installed windows for the second time, I used a different image (which already had all recent updates) , I didn't add any drivers to it, and it worked anyway.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  5. lynx1021

lynx1021

I can't see anyway an operating system could damage a CPU unless it was causing the CPU to run at 100% and there was not adequate cooling. Blue colored ports are usually USB3, black are usually USB2. It does have USB2. on header connections USB34, USB12

6. wolfgangam

From what I see, it does not have USB2, only 3.0 and 3.1 (which is the green colored that end up working)

7. lynx1021

lynx1021

You have to have a header cable for USB2, see PDF

Attached Files:

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Gee that is news to me AND to Asus since the support page for your motherboard lists win7 as a supported operating system. I REALLY think you need a new shop for repairs. Here is a link to the support page for your motherboard; as you can see, win7 is listed as supported along with an amd 2600X
    https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-X370-PRO/overview/

Note some board mfg do show a warning that raven ridge processors are supported in win10 only however your board does NOT have that warning.

Note there are some things win7 does not natively support ie M.2 nvme type drives as boot drives. You would have to slipstream the necessary drivers into a custom install media OR load the driver manually during setup.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  9. wolfgangam

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Evidently asus has done the testing and lists both drivers and support for your board/cpu. As I said some board mfg [gigabyte] list a warning on their site.
    Regardless, I would NOT be taking anything to the shop that told you win7 physically damaged a processor.
    As for whether you should install win7, that is up to you. IMO win10 is the most stable, best working operating system ms has ever released. For many years it was my opinion that win2k was the best os ever released however 10 is better, more stable, and just works.

11. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1220637

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice