1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

question/s about backing up hard disk/drive

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by whateversky, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. whateversky

whateversky Thread Starter

Hi, l'll just write a bit here, so excuse me. Basically l 'used' to have windows vista on my laptop with a separate hp partition, and l had the hp backup and recovery manager, and one thing l liked about that (oddly enough) was that l could create recovery points and restore them if l had pc problems. Now in the last 2 weeks l downgraded to xp, and l only have a c drive and a d drive.
    For many hours i've been doing research on backup and recovery programs, as the hp backup and recovery manager for xp doesn't allow me to create recovery points (
    Then l found that you could actually make a image of your c drive (or hard drive), and that got me all excited, im considering buying acronis or norton in the next day or two, or alternatively l might just download some freeware program instead.
    But l just want to ask what's involved in this whole process, and l know this sounds like a stupid question,
    I plan on backing up/or making an image of my c drive on blank dvd's and yes l know you can make a partition but im not that tech minded, plus l heard it could damage your system, and l dont have a usb flash drive, so l guess my main question is after l backup my c drive on some dvd's how do l use those discs if something does go wrong, l mean do you just put then in the d drive and when the computer boots up it installs or something, because its not like a program, if u know what l mean? I mean can you actually install a backed up drive, if anyone could lend a hand and tell me anything that l should know about the whole c drive backup process l'd be happy and thankful.
    I just want to learn some knowledge before l go out and buy the program, l mean l dont want to buy it and like oops what the hell do l do with this thing,, waste of money typa thing, you know?
    Ok ciao )

Aaron

im using a
    compaq 6720s
    windows xp
    firefox
    2.00 ghz speed
    2.00 gb ram

:)

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
    I would not get Ghost.
    I use Acronis .. and you'll need an External Hard Drive.
    Are you ready to add an external Hard drive for this project ??

As far as Freeware .. Macrium has good ratings.
    We can chat more after we find out if you have (or will get) an external HDD

3. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    An “Image” backup is just a Data file.
    It is usually a very large file .. so putting the Image on DVDs is not practical.
    The size of the Image data file will be about 60>70% of the occupied space in the partition (or partitions) that you’re imaging.

The external HDD to store the backup Images in, Must be formatted NTFS .. because Fat32 does not like large files.
    The Imaging program will let you make a Boot CD.
    This Boot CD will boot to the Imaging program, even if the computer will not boot .. or even has a brand new (blank) HDD in it.
    Just put in the Boot CD and turn your computer on .. It will load the imaging program into Ram .. and run from there.

Once the Imaging program is running .. You can tell it which Partitions to rewrite (recover) and where the backup Image is located.

Your excitement is warranted .. Imaging has saved me many times.

Here's a Tutorial for using Macrium in Windows 7 .. Your XP will be the same
    How’s this for a starter :D ??

4. ozziebeanie

ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    I have a few programs for backing up but since Ghost still does the job, if its working why change it, (I notice someone said don’t use it,) I guess everyone has there preferences, (and boy has it saved my bacon a few times) although I have to use another program on W7 as the version of Ghost I have wont work on that OS, but I don’t see the point in putting a image back up of drive C on a partition in the same drive, what if the hard drive dies? You have lost not only the drive C you where operating off but the whole drive which includes your image file, I have a second drive on the pc which does not switch on till I want to use it, and boot to that one then place the image file on that drive, its the most reliable way.

5. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    I haven't had any complaints about Ghost .. Since I donated it to the local land fill :D :D :D
    On the serious side .. Acronis does more (last I looked) .. and is Cheaper than Ghost.
    It's also updated to work in Windows 7 .. But I've worked on one W7 computer the boot CD would not work in.

Macrium is good .. And the gang on the W7 forum say it works in W7 ..
    But to get all the features of Acronis .. You have to pay, Then it costs about the same.
    The question would be .. Do you want or need all the features.

6. lagunasrfr

lagunasrfr

Take a look at Macrium Reflect. It's inexpensive, has excellent support staff, makes image or folder backups and has emergency recovery bootable disk.

7. whateversky

Hi again, wow! thankyou for all the answers it said l had 55 replies, (l think)
    To one of the people that answered noyb yes l do have an external hdd, l bought it last year, and l was actually gonna sell it, but l think now ll'll keep it, but yes l do have one )) And l might buy acronis tomorrow or something similar from a big store called harvey norman (its down here in Australia) so yeah im from oz ),
    If you or anyone can give me a hand on this project l'd love that.
    I assume all you would have to do is connect the hard drive up and partition it or something, anyway l dont know to be honest, please someone get back to me when you can, ciao

Aaron

8. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    I would not partition an external HDD ... A Folder organization is Better ... Partitions waste space.
    Backup Image files are just a Data file ... I put them in an appropriately named folder .. Usually the Computer name.

You will have to Format the External .. NTFS.
    How big is the external (gigs) .. And how many gigs are Occupied in your System Drive ???

The Trial DL of Acronis is fully functional for 15 days ... If you want to play first.

I'd like to see a screen shot of your Disc Management screen .. something like this ...

Attached Files:

9. Stoner

Stoner Banned

10. whateversky

HI again thanks for the answers, my 'main' computer system is 120 gigabytes, and l actually do have a western digital (or wd) hard drive, and l can't believe l can get acronis true image for free, as pointed out by stoner, so thanks for that.
    But yeah going back to noyb, my hard drive is 120 gb and my external hard drive is 160gb, so more, and l will get you a screen shot, of my computer management now. But l got a technician to reinstall windows xp for me, that l bought online, and there's no a: drive in it he must have deleted it or something, besides l have a laptop so no big deal l guess.
    And finally just to clarify if its not too much trouble, if l could get a step by step process of what l need to do, l mean l dont even know what partition is, something to do with 'parts' anyways, l'll just rephrase so its more clear, l would just like to create recovery points (l actually like those alot, dont know why but) or if not that, l want to be able to keep a backup of my computer like a snapshot, and manage backups of my files on my computer, on the external hard drive.

Nevermind i'm sorry noyb but l dont know how to attach a photo of my computer management screen, but l will tell you, all thats showing up is a c: drive and l also have a d: drive or cd/dvd drive and like l said before a: drive is missing.
    And of course l have yet to attach my external hard drive which was f: drive from memory.

it looks like below inw riting:

(c:) partition basic NTFS, healthy system 111.78 gb, 96.46 gb (of free space)
    86% free, no for fault tolerance and overhead is 0% l dont know if that helps somewhat.

thanks bye

Aaron

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916903

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice