QUESTION: W2K PRO vs. XP Pro ???

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

abrandt

Hello Forum Members:

I have a simple question:

I'm using W2K Pro for business (e.g. no games).

QUESTION Are there any COMPELLING reasons at this point, Year 2006... to migrate from W2K Pro to XP Pro ?

Thank you for a prompt and detailed response.

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2006!

Alan

crjdriver

I use win2k to run games such as ut2004, q4, etc and have no problems. It is just my opinion, however I prefer win2k to xp. XP does many tasks for you that in win2k you must do manually such as configuring a network.

Both os work well and are very stable. I just do not like the cute look of xp even in classic view.

abrandt

Hello crjdriver:

I take it, you are not aware of any COMPELLING reasons.

Thank you :)

crjdriver

No. I see no reason to change if you are happy with a given os. Once support ends, then yes you will need to change but now no.

I personally think the superior networking capabilities (and security) in W2K are worth using it over XP. Also, the plug and play in XP is superior I have found. If you plan on networking--XP is the way to go.

I have both W2KPro and XP. In my previous business I kept lots of reports on CD-RW disks. I preferred W2KPro since I could delete a single file from a CD-RW with W2KPro but had to rewrite the complete disk to delete a file with XP. I still prefer W2KPro over XP and have no compelling reasons to make XP my primary machine.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303008/

win2kpro said:
I have both W2KPro and XP. In my previous business I kept lots of reports on CD-RW disks. I preferred W2KPro since I could delete a single file from a CD-RW with W2KPro but had to rewrite the complete disk to delete a file with XP.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303008/
That is not a function of XP vs 2K however, what that means is the "native" CD writer built into XP is not a "packet writer".

If you could do that in 2k, it meant you had a third party packet writer installed (InCD or DirectCD etc), which can also be installed in the same manner to do the same job in XP.
(Windows 2k never had "native" burner support at all)

However if you used "packet writing" to store important files, you were/are running a higher risk of losing them, as every erase/write operation actually puts all data on the CD-RW at risk, its not a good idea in my opinion to ever use CD-RW in that manner for any valuable files. Its not just a theoretical view, I have personally seen instances where businesses lost significant data by using this method, and it caused financial and physical havoc.

Also the packet written CDs are only readable on PCs that have that software installed, its not a standard Windows format.

crjdriver

Mulder said:
I personally think the superior networking capabilities (and security) in W2K are worth using it over XP. Also, the plug and play in XP is superior I have found. If you plan on networking--XP is the way to go.
I have a network with 2 win2k sp4 machines and 1 xp sp2. I see no difference other than you must configure the network yourself in win2k. As to security, where is the difference? Both win2k and xp pro have group policy edit to edit rights to the system. There is no gpedit in home.

IMO win2k was designed to be administered by IT people who at least have some idea of what they are doing. XP was designed for the home user who may or may not understand how to accomplish a given task and is helped along by "wizards"

kiwiguy you do make some valid points with which I will agree. However,

kiwiguy said:
its not a good idea in my opinion to ever use CD-RW in that manner for any valuable files. Its not just a theoretical view, I have personally seen instances where businesses lost significant data by using this method, and it caused financial and physical havoc.
Your are certainly entitled to your opinion but in 15 years of saving and deleting files from CD-RW’s I never lost a file.

kiwiguy said:
Also the packet written CDs are only readable on PCs that have that software installed, its not a standard Windows format.
This is not correct. I previously used ROXIO EASY CD/DVD CREATOR and currently use SONIC RECORD NOW. Both programs have a “make compatible” feature and I have burned numerous disks and used the “make compatible” feature and never had a problem with another machine reading the disk. :)

Network setup is no harder to accomplish in Win2K than in XP. XP is just dumbed down so if you have no real experience setting up a network it will hold your hand and wizard you through the process.

There is no real reason to switch from Win2K to XP Pro if it does everything you need it to do. I have been using it for about 4 years and have no intention of switching OS's. I do have a dual boot config for XP Pro, but I rarely if ever use it.

abrandt

Hello Rockn:

Thank you for the reply.

I am trying to be as objective about this issue as possible. Another consideration is... I will soon be purchasing a LAPTOP which most have XP installed.

The only COMPELLING reason I have read so far to migrate from W2K Pro to XP Pro is:
  • WIRELESS... users have indicated it's a breeze compared to W2K...

• Microsoft's Volume Shadow Services (VSS), allowing you to create safe "hot images" even from drives currently in use

Other than that... are there any other practical or technical reasons? :confused:

Any further comments or thought would be greatly appreciated.

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2006!

Alan :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online