1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by starchild, Jan 12, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

First this is of no real importance to anything, just one of those "the idea of it" things.

I've been writing on another board (not computer related) with someone who continually makes out how rich she is and how she always has the "top of the line" updated computers and stuff.

Yet, when I was checking the source code info for something, I noticed she has Windows NT 5.1 (and IE6)

she just wrote this (as to her husband's stupidity in setting up HIS new computer, she "built" for him)

"LOL on the computer set-up. My husband just interrupted me to tell me what a hard time he had installing his printer. I wasn't paying attention when he asked me how I had installed mine when I got my new computer a few months ago."

She went on to say it is all "plug and play" now and he tried using an installation disk and messed it up.

I was going to ask her, but have learned from experience this tends to start wars (or continue them, as the case may be) "why do you have a 2-3 months old computer with WIN NT in it?"

Maybe I am mistaken, but isn't this an OLDER version?

From before Win 98, 98SE, 2000, 2002? (and MX is in there?)

I have Win 98SE but my computer is from 1999, thought I bought it in 2000.

Do people buy new computers that would, I assume come with WIN 2000 at least, and take this out and put in WIN NT? For some reason?

Or, have the versions of WIN NT continued along (like hers is 5.1) other than the 98, 2000, etc?

I was going to post this in the WIN topic, but it's not really a problem, just more of a "does this make sense to anyone"?

I'm also thinking WIN NT (if it's an older version as I am thinking) wouldn't really be compatible with IE 6... would it?

Just for possible discussion (and of course, learning) Hopefully, I won't start or continue any wars by asking it here. :)

~ Carrie

2. Mulderator

Mulderator

Don't know why you would have NT on a home computer. The best choice is either 2000 or XP.

3. brianF

brianF

I beleive winnt 5.1 is windows xp, but could be mistaken. It all depends on what generates the information

4. mtbird

mtbird

5. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Windows NT 5.0 was released only as beta, when released officially, it became Windows XP.
    I found this out in another thread recently where the person said they had windows xp and the error message said something about NT 5 support.

6. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

Firgured for once I'd check the facts before automatically assuming something.

Hey, maybe I am learning something? :)

~ Carrie

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112851

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice