1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

question

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by quincannon81, Feb 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. quincannon81

quincannon81 Thread Starter

If i get windows XP upgrade could i just instal that on a reformated hard drive or do i have to have a previous version of windows installed on the hard drive?

2. Ash_11

Ash_11

you can use the upgrade, it will ask you for the old serial number from your previous windows version to verify that you have a real copy.

3. Jtoast

Jtoast

actually, it askes you to insert the full version cd/disk from your old operating system.

4. quincannon81

well i have Windows ME on a cd i got from dell it's just Windows ME and nothing else on it just it has the dell logo on it. but i've been having a lot of problems with my computer and i can get XP pro upgrade cd for like 40 dollars so i was thinking of changing over to it.

5. Del

Del

Actually, you can partition your HDD and install XP and keep ME.

6. quincannon81

I rather not ME sucks and i have too many problems. I'm going to be reformating my hard drive anyway since things just keep getting worse on my computer

my antivirus programs no longer work my system resources always drop for no reason and so on, and i've scanned my hard drive with online virus scans and i have trojan hunter on my computer and they're not detecting a virus so i'm going with windows slowly destructing on itself

7. Del

Del

Yup, and not everyone likes brown socks, been using ME for 3 years and got one BSOD. Works like a charm for ME..
    have a great night

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118516

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice