1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

question

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by scsa1000, May 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scsa1000

scsa1000 Thread Starter

does boot disks on floppys work for the windows xp cause i am going to best buy and ask them if i buy the floppies and pay them to go on online and download the boot disks and i will pay them will it work since my xp cd is broken and emachines wont send till later next week and i need it to work tomarrow? thanks for any info and help you can give. thanks again

2. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

this is a wierd question you need to elaborate what you need

3. scsa1000

scsa1000 Thread Starter

ok yesterday my hd started going biserk then my computer got a blue screen error so i was going to restore it with the cd so i do and it only goes to 22 percent so i see my cd is cracked so i emailed emachines to tell them to send a new disk havent work back cause of holiday so i am thinking wont send out till tues at earliest but i neeed it tomarrow so my dad is got an idea to ask best buy if then can copy a cd of it on to a cd or if they meaning best buy can download the restore floppys and we pay for the floppys and make the set so we can get the xp back on my harddrive to normal so i was wondering if you think best buy can help or any other way to get it fast with out waiting on emachines cause its our only computer and we need it to work thanks for any help you guys can give me thanks

4. jnibori

jnibori

scsa1000-

I think I understand what you are asking.

I think it might be easier if you just purchase a blank CD, then copy the boot code to that. You will have to change the boot sequence in the BIOS, so your computer checks the CD-Rom first. (ask if you are unsure how to do that) If you are uncomfortable with that, then you can make the bootable floppies.

The other thing is that a boot CD/Floppy will only get your system to boot. If you were having problems before, which I am assuming you were since to were using your CD, those problems will still be there.

Finally, remember that Windows XP is system specific. In other words, you can only use one copy of XP on one machine. I am not sure what will happen when you try to install a second copy of XP on a machine that has already had another one. (It noted the motherboard serial number, as well as other things.) You might have to call MicroSoft and get a keycode to work around the activation.

See here for some Boot downloads -
    http://www.madboot.com/

5. scsa1000

scsa1000 Thread Starter

will the boot cd get the whole computer to when we bought it cause i need it to go back to when i first bought it restore it to normal meaning blank with out anything except real player and all the stuff they put on it cause yester i had a weird error that comes once in a awhile a blue screen with a error number but i cant make a cd cause i am using webtv now the only internet or computer like product besides the messed up one. when i got to best buy do you think they will let me use a computer to download it and make the floppies or cds i have blank cds at home that i will bring if you think it will help thanks for your help and thhanks for any other help you can give thanks all again

6. dai

dai

the boot disks will only get your computer to a point which will enable you to restore files from the cd you would need over 600 floppies to have all files that are on the cd.
    when you boot from the boot floppies it will ask you to insert the cd so it can access what it needs you will have to wait for the replacement or do some lateral thinking.

7. JohnO28356

JohnO28356

If you can't wait for Emachines, then I think the only solution is to buy a new XP CD. After install, I don't think you will have a problem with the new license, but if you do MS will give you a new key when you call the number it will give you on the screen.

8. jnibori

jnibori

scsa1000 -

If you are asking if you can download data from Best Buy to "boot" your system, yes you can probably do that. It looks like you might be confusing "booting" with restoring.

The CD that Best Buy will be sending you will allow you to boot from it as well. Depending on the CD, you might be able to insert the CD, then repair your system from it (Repair-Re-installation.) You might be able to overlay data and fix the problem without erasing your existing hard drive.

9. scsa1000

scsa1000 Thread Starter

thanks everyone for your help i have decided to buy linux and install it so thanks for all the great ideas you guys are the best. thanks again

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/135759

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice