question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

martin65

hello!
ppl I've confronted a problem like this on my assignment and can't figure out the answer! plz have a look and see if anyone can help me out:
Peter has recently bought a high-end desktop computer with an Intel
64-bit processor and 5 gigabytes of memory. He chose to install Windows Vista
Ultimate 32-bit on his machine. After the system boot up, he was shocked to discover
that Windows showed his memory to be only 4 GB. His colleagues advised him to
install a 64-bit operating system. What was the problem?

I'll appreciate ur replies
thanks in advance...

He is lucky it shows 4g, 32bit OS's normally only recognise around 3.2g.
If he wants to use the full 5G then he needs to install a 64bit OS

martin65

Thanks for your reply,
why? I mean how come the 32 one does not work??
if possible, just explain how the memory space has got filled out? I mean I can't see the connections! how is it that the windows is just 32bits and the processor is 64 bits, and more than 32 obviously but then this problem happens!

The 32bit will work it just wont recognize more that 3.2g of ram, its a windows issue.
Having a 64bit cpu just means it will support a 64bit OS.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online