1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Questions about Ad blockers and more

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by ryrhino, May 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ryrhino

ryrhino Thread Starter

Hello,

I have Windows 10. I mostly use Chrome as my browser. I have used both Disconnect and uBlock origin. I am currently only using uBlock origin.

I am wanting to learn more about the differences between an ad blocker and a tracking blocker.

I have a few questions about ad blockers and software that blocks tracking such as Ghostery, Disconnet, and Privacy Badger.

Please answer any or all of the questions.
    • What does uBlock origin do that Disconnect or other tracking blockers do not do?
    • What do tracking blockers do that uBlock origin do do not do?
    • Which settings if any besides the default settings in uBlock origin be checked/used?
    • Should both an ad blocker and tracking blocker be used at the same time? If not does an ad blocker or tracking blocker offer more?
    • Which ad blocker or tracking blocker do you suggest using and why?
    • Any articles or posts you know of that would help me to learn more?
    • Is using Windows Defender Browser Protection a good idea? If so do I need to also use an ad blocker or tracking blocker? What does Defender do that an ad blocker or tracking blocker not do?
    Thanks for your help.

2. Paul23

Paul23 Temporarily Banned

First Name:
    Paul
    I use Trafficlight, adblock, HTTPS Everywhere, and Wndows defender browser protection. I don't know about any of the programs you mentioned other than Windows defender.

3. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

I'm using AdGuard AdBlocker. It has an impressive list of filters, including malware domains, trackers, anti-phishing, anti-adblock warnings, anti-Facebook/Twitter widgets, blocks YouTube ads, annoying cookie law notices, and much more. You already have uBlock Origin which is very good as well. IMO, you don't need more. Basically, all those extensions perform similar tasks. Installing too many may cause trouble or conflicts.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  4. Paul23

Paul23 Temporarily Banned

First Name:
    Paul
    The programs I have installed have caused no conficts. Adblock is great, it blocks youtube ads. HTTPS everywhere makes the browser use HTTPS. Trafficlight looks for trackers. Windows defender browser is new, haven't seen anything that it has notified me about, yet.

5. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

According to Google, 81 of the top 100 websites use HTTPS by default, over 68 per cent of Chrome traffic on Android and Windows occurs over HTTPS, and over 78 per cent of Chrome traffic on Chrome OS and macOS and iOS travels securely.

Three years ago, Google's search engine began favoring in its results websites that use encrypted HTTPS connections.

Paul23 likes this.
  6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!