1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

questions about backup

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by mord, Jan 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mord

mord Thread Starter

i have windows xp. my system with os and user bnfiles is 6 gigabytes.fir backups i've been
    making copies all my user fi8les. in the begi9nning i didn't use the same user name and
    passw0o5rds and over time the disks will be ng. will a backup of 6gb make the read-write
    heade harm the disk.ikf my output is on dvd does it have to be bootable? i want to do a
    full system backup not just the hard drive. if possible could you recommend a free backup
    program i could use? thank you

2. Jay_JWLH

Jay_JWLH

6 gigabyes does not sound like a lot. Provided the internet connection speeds, you could back your computer up online. As for a complete copy of your computer, I know of a program that can help you do that. http://www.runtime.org/dixml.htm You can use it to compress the backup file a bit, which can make the backup 5 gigabytes, depending on what you have on your computer. Some files compress a lot easier than others. Also you can split the files into smaller amounts if you want to store them somewhere of several small places, like disks for example. I think there is only one set size. It takes everything of the whole physical disk. Also, you can browse the files from that backup and pick out the files you lost, as long as the whole thing is accessed somewhere together.
    Disadvantage is that you can't make incremental backups or others like that (backups that only account for the changes since your last backup), so you do only full backups. If you plan to just replace your backup as you create a new one, that is fine. Other disadvantage is that you need the space to hold the backup files for the time being, before writing them onto something such as CD's and DVD's.

3. Hughv

Hughv

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/675021

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice