1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Questions about files in WIN XP

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by starchild, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

Not sure where this belongs, but it's files and I know people here do this (office programs).

My daughter is taking an online college course (Community College) about computer (Microsoft) basics. It didn't say when she signed up (a computer course is required) she would need XP for this, but now she's started, the book/lessons are based on WIN XP. She has WIN 98 (and an older computer she probably can't put it on if she had it). The first two lessons (2 weeks) involve WINDOWS and after that it goes on to I.E and Outlook Express (she has version 6 in this) and Word and Excel (2003 which she has) So, once through WINDOWS she should be okay.

The problems is, the first lesson which is about using Windows, tells her to do things (then questions it) with files that Windows 98 doesn't have. (The 2nd lesson involves setting up a slide show, which I think XP has built in, but not 98) Instead of the book giving the answers, it says to click on things and see (for yourself) what is there, what it does, etc.

She emailed the teacher who said she could work around it (no specifics). I suggested she make a SHARED DOCUMENTS FOLDER (the first lesson is about) herself. But, we don't know where to put it? In MY DOCUMENTS?

Also, one question says: "Click the Shared Document link in the Other Places area of the task pane" apparently this is links that come up along the task bar on the bottom in XP, but not 98)

"What are the names of the Shared Folders within this folder?"

Going by the text, there are files or folders inside the Shared Folder she is supposed to know the names of. She wrote back to the teacher, asking about this (how she could set it up herself, if she doesn't know what it is, what's in it?) and got no answer.

I told her everyone in the class can't have WIN XP (it didn't say it was required for the course) some must have older versions, too. But, nobody has said anything about it, yet. They have a discussion board for each class.

Going by the book (New perspective Office 2003) (I have the 97 version of this) after the first two lessons about WINDOWS, it goes on to email and I.E. and programs she does have the latest versions of (6). So, once she gets through Windows, she should be okay. Since she's been using 98 (and asks me about this if she doesn't know, and either I know the answer or can find out) she has experience (overall) with WINDOWS. Just not XP.

She's been upset over this, now thinking she can't take the class (she needs, and is too late to change it) and can't afford (right now) to buy a new computer that would have XP in it.

Can someone tell me what is in the SHARED FOLDER? Is it just sub folders, or actual text of some kind? (the question is to open it and say what is in it).

Can I set this up for her? If so, where- MY DOCUMENTS?

And, if it's a shared folder, who is it shared with? I'm guessing it might have something to do with an office, and networking, like if more than one person (or computers) are on the same system, that would be a folder everyone could and would use? (this is a question I'm asking, not the school :)

Since the teacher knows she doesn't have XP and says she can "get around it" (maybe just learning about it and not actually doing it) seems like making the folder, manually would be the answer to this.

But, there are actual questions in the book she is supposed to answer- based on something that's not there for her to do (and find out about, in the doing which seems to be the only way to find the answers).

I looked online for differences in 98 and XP, but couldn't find any specifics (like what's in a shared folder and where it's set up)

Another question involved clicking on MY NETWORKING. I think this might come on the desktop (when I've installed WIN98) but I delete it, because it's not something I plan to use. Where would this be, to put another shortcut on the desktop?

Thanks,

Carrie

2. squidboy

squidboy

A bit of a quandary, to be sure.

If it was made clear that you don't have XP, the instructor should know you don't have a Shared Documents by default under Win98.

It sounds like you might be able to work around this, but it depends on the instructor.

I would speak to him/her directly, explain your situation and try to work out a solution.

If you can't I would speak (directly as well) to the registrar's office and explain your situation. Tell them you don't have XP and it wasn't a requirement of the course (*if that is true*). They should permit you to withdraw from the course or provide access to a PC that does have XP and allow your daughter to complete the course.

I know that's a bit of stretch, and I'm not calling you a liar but it seems unusual to me that the requirement of WinXP, and related software, would be omitted from the course requirement.

3. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

We looked up (today) and it doesn't say Win XP is required for the course. It says they will be using Office 2003, but 2000 could be used to. My daughter has Office 2000 in, and someone lent her a 2003 CD, but she hasn't put it in. Since it's an older computer I've been telling her I think 2000 (which is in and we know works) might be better to use.

The teacher told them when the class started they would be using WIN XP, and this is the system they have at the Community College.

My daughter takes online courses from there, because she can't get to the college to take offline classes.

The teacher (via email) didn't seem too concerned and said she could work around it.

Going by the textbook, there are only 2 lessons (2 weeks) involving WINDOWS (and using it), and after that, it will be programs she has, and can follow along with.

My daughter's first thought today was to try and drop the course, using the reason it didn't say WIN XP was required when she signed up for it. But, she needs a computer course, and this is the only basic one (offered online) that seems suitable. Overall computer (Office) knowledge.

It's just a matter of converting XP to 98, for these two lessons. After that, she should be okay, and I can help her if she gets stuck.

Or, I can learn something, also.

~ Carrie

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

starchild, something about your post puzzles me.

You say she has Windows 98, and then say that she has Word and Excel 2003, but neither Word or Excel 2003 are supposed to install or work under Window 98.
    They need Windows 2000 or XP, according to Microsoft.

Interesting?

[edit]
    Your response clears that up.

If it is based on Office 2003, then Windows 2000 or XP would be needed to run it. They are essentially the same operating systems.

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Reading through it again, the solution is clear I believe.

Where you cannot answer such things as "what files are in the directory" due to not having Windows 2000/XP, simply state that you cannot satisfactorily answer that relating to XP, as you are restricted to 98.

You can however accurately relay the files that you have in 98.

That is a work-around, and you are being open and transparent. Unlikely to be a hinderance in any manner I believe.

Office 2000 will be similar in many respects to 2003, but the same rules apply I believe.

6. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

She hasn't tried to put Office 2003 in yet. Someone lent her the CD. I told her 2000 is basically the same (and the course said it could be used, though they prefered 2003) but she thinks if it recommends 2003 she should have it. The class just started a few days ago and she hasn't got to Office yet.

I put Office 2000 in her computer when she got it (it was given to us about 1 1/2 years ago, it had WIN 95 in it and I put in 98) I have it in mine (with 98 SE) and it works.

I'd be surprised if everyone taking the course (this is a rural State, Vermont- and Community College) has a new computer with WIN XP and Office 2003 in it. Maybe this topic will come up, with others. They have a discussion board for each class.

I just thought if there's a way to find out the answers without actually having/using WIN XP that would work. She'd still be learning it and finding out. After the first two lessons, she'll be fine because she'll have everything the course covers after that.

Her first reaction was to ask about dropping the course and changing to something else (not much to pick from the semester has started and she needs a computer course). Another consideration is, she paid a lot for the textbook. And, it's just the first two lessons that are the problem.

You'd think they'd use something a bit more basic and universal for lessons on using Windows than the options that are only available with XP.

~ Carrie

7. squidboy

squidboy

Well, in their (in)finite wisdom, Microsoft created this whole My Documents/Shared Documents thing to help us all with computers.

It's pretty simple: they're all just directories (folders) on your C: drive. Some call them a 'pointer' to ease the use of Explorer (not IE). They have a purpose though, and become useful when multiple users share the same PC or need to share their files on a network. But again, they're just directories.

And, on WinXP, by default, they all reside in C:\Documents and Settings\

Permit a small demonstration:

[​IMG]

As you can see in the first red box, Shared Documents is simply a folder under C:\Documents and Settings\All Users. Stuff that shared on a network by default goes there.

My name is Bert (hi). I am user on this PC and I have my own folder (second red box) which stores my stuff. My 'My documents' is stored there as well, again just a folder/directory.

As an aside, each user has a Desktop folder (green box). Stuff you see on your desktop is actually stored there (files, shortcuts, whatever). If you copy a file to that folder it will (surprise!) appear on your desktop.

The key thing is XP, etc, stores things by default under My Documents but you needn't worry as this is just a folder on your C: drive. Hope that helps.

8. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Office 2003 will not run on Windows 98, that seems certain.

As the course was for Office 2003, the expectation would be that the users would be using XP or Windows 2000, as otherwise they could not be using WIndows 2003.

However it seems clear from your posts that the tutor sees no major issue using Office 2000 and Windows 98, so just accommodate it as best you can in an honest and open manner?

9. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

Hi Bert, I came across something like this in searching:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/.../xp/all/proddocs/en-us/file_srv_overview.mspx

Kiwiguy, my daugher did suggest this (when we were discussing it earlier) that she write she can't answer it because she doesn't have WIN XP. Maybe this is what the teacher meant by working around it?

She (my daughter) gets stressed over it, because she has a high grade point average and puts a lot into the classes (only has a few more left and will have a degree in "Human Services") so doesn't want this to effect her grade.

Maybe it's a simple as just saying "I don't have Windows XP so I can't answer it".

I don't know what else we can do, except maybe learning about it in other ways.

I've never used Windows over 98 SE but if I have a choice, I'd keep it, it seems to work for what I use it for :)

~ Carrie

10. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I think that is the best action, just state the fact. Trying to fudge it would be worse.

When asked for "what files are in the directory" though, answer for the same that you actually have in your 98 directory.

By the way, "shared documents" is actually C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents, under XP. I would suggest that you creat one simply under C:\ though, keep it clean and simple.

Just be up front with what you are doing, and if possible show that you know your way around Windows 98.

I have used all versions of Windows from version 1.0, 3.11, 95, 98, ME, 2000 and XP.
    XP is by far the best however IMHO. You do need good resources to run it though.

11. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

This is a computer basic course, seems like it would have been more clear about what was wanted. I feel I know something about it (Windows, Office, computers) but didn't know you needed over 98 for Office 2003.

At the start, my daughter wrote and said she only had Office 2000 and would that works as well? (the course said "Office 2003 perferred but Office 2000 would be acceptable") and was told there were a few differences but when she came to them she could ask and be told how to work around it.

I can see now it would be expected the person have WIN XP, without this being made clear. Maybe it's not that big a deal and can be skipped over if they don't. The class is supposedly on Microsoft (office) processes. Word, Excel and making a basic spreadsheet.

Thanks for all the imput.

I didn't even know I had a Shared folder. I know one is set up for file sharing like Kazaa, Shareaza, etc. but didn't know if was something actually there.

I just put WIN 98 in another older computer (someone gave me) while it's fairly new, I should go over it and see just what is there, to start.

Since the price of new computers (especially from DELL) is coming down, maybe everyone else does have WIN XP :)

~ Carrie

12. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

Oh "fudge it" wasn't really the way we were thinking. Like trying to do it without the actual program. More like trying to learn what she was supposed to be learning, in other ways, without having the program.

Would be harder and require more research and looking into, instead of (as the book says) "click on- and see what is in it".

But, would still be learning what they are supposed to learn.

~ Carrie

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325780

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice