1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

questions about files - possible corruptions?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by TanBrae, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TanBrae

TanBrae Thread Starter

Hi all! Haven't been here for a while, but am again in need of help.

I'm working on a friend's computer. It is a real mess! Any way, I am getting various errors, and think I may be able to fix them, but have a question about a couple things I've found while in the process of doing fixes. I have found a few strange things that I cannot find any information about.

In Temp Internet Folder, in a folder labeled WH8LSRC9 is the following: CAA7KL63.com%2F&KW_type=exact&ad_type=text&region=topstory_537700&feedback_link=off&cc=186&u_h=768&u_w=1024&u_ah=738&u_aw=1024&u_cd=32&u_tz=300&u_his=h&u_java=true
    I am not able to delete this file or folder. I'm wondering if this could be something he opened on the 'Net???

Also, in a Temp folder, is this: VIES5B19. Internet search comes up with nothing. I cannot delete this folder, either.

After searching on the 'Net about his problem, I'm guessing he has a corrupt rundll32.exe file. The problem is this:
    When clicking on most applications, I get an error labeled C:\Windows\system32\rundll32.exe Application not found.

I can boot the computer in Safe Mode, but still am not able to open many items in the Control Panel without getting this error.

Can you tell me if I should be okay running the Windows disk for the rundll file to restore it? I cannot do a System Restore as the computer will not let me without bringing up this error. I'm hoping to avoid a total reformat as I have never done one on my own.

His computer XP operated. He is (was!) using AVG, but I talked him into buying Kaspersky, but cannot install that because of errors.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914127

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice