1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Questions about Migrating Win 10 from a Raid HDD to sata SSD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CTimothyC, Jun 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CTimothyC

CTimothyC Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 21 Model 2 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 6
    RAM: 16291 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R7 200 Series, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 953 GB (206 GB Free); E: 149 GB (55 GB Free); F: 931 GB (360 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ASRock, 970M Pro3
    Antivirus: Norton Security Online, Enabled and Updated
    I recently did a fairly major upgrade to my PC's hardware. I found a good deal on a sata3 1Tb SSD but then realize I would have to replace my motherboard in order to reap the maximum benefits from the SSD. After that my RAM seemed inadequate so I increased both the speed and the amount. After doing a google search on how to get my Windows 10 from my HDD to my SSD. I found a program (EaseUS Partition Master 13.5) that said it could migrate my system to the SSD without any hassle. So after completing that I rebooted went into the bios and switched the primary boot drive from the Raid set HDD to the AHCI SSD. But it would not boot So I went back into the bios and I saw that it had a RAID option for the SSD even though it is a single drive. And it does boot from that setting. Even after disconnecting the RAID HDD set my PC will only boot if the SSD is set to Raid. Now what I am curious about is: was it fact that I migrated Windows from a Raid set that caused My SSD to be read as Raid? The other thing is I have not noticed any increased in either speed or performance with my new SSD. I Think I may have to do a clean install but I am not sure. What do you think? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

This is onboard raid [which IMO is less than useless] The reason it boots when the sata controller is set to Raid is that the install was done using the raid driver and not a standard amd sata driver.
    It is possible to change this back to a standard sata however it does require a reasonably high level of skill. In fact I wrote an article covering just this task a number of years ago. The intels are very easy however the amd side not so much. I no longer have the article since there is really no need for onboard raid any longer.

I would just leave it as is until you do a clean install of windows. There should be no difference in performance between raid mode and ahci mode. When you do a clean install of windows, set the sata controller to ahci mode prior to doing the install.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I did find the article in a long forgotten backup however it was written for win7 and not 10.
    It will probably still work however you have to edit the registry manually AND copy the driver files manually after extracting the driver from the .exe chipset driver.
    I will be OFF for the rest of the night. If you want detailed instructions, post back however before doing anything, have a current backup. When you start editing the registry, you can end up with a system that will not boot.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    CTimothyC likes this.
  4. CTimothyC

CTimothyC Thread Starter

Thank-you so much the helpful information. I think I got this, I am going to to a clean install from a usb drive. I'll set the sata control to ahci mode, then boot from the usb installation drive, format the SSD and install a copy of Windows 1o. So again thanks for responding .

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are welcome. You do not have to format the ssd. In fact you just add extra wear on the drive formatting. Boot with the install usb and delete ALL partitions on the ssd. Let setup create partitions as necessary.
    Have only the ssd drive connected when doing the actual install. Once complete, you can shutdown and connect any other drives you have. The reason is that often setup will install on whatever drive you specify however it will install the boot files ie boot mgr to the drive connected to the first sata port.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229322

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice