Questions about partitions, BootMagic, etc.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Leiki

The programs I have used to do all this:
PartitionMagic
BootMagic

I can't really explain how I did all of this, but I now have a total of 4 partitions. My main partition (C: )(Type: NTFS), one without a name (*)(Type: Extended), BOOTMAGIC(E: )(Type: FAT32) which I installed BootMagic on, and Linux (*)(Type: Linux Ext2), which I wanted to install Linux on. (This is the 4th AND LAST time.)

I have two problems I would like to resolve.
1) I would like to merge all of my made partitions with my main one, so I could get all of my space back. But when I right click any partition (in PartitionMagic), the "Merge" option is in gray.
2) I wondered if I couldn't merge (E: ) with (C: ) because of the space used. So I formatted it...and now everytime I start up my Win XP, it says something like "BOOTM.IMG cannot be found, please press a key." I would like this to stop.

Thank you for all your help. I don't know where I would be without the TechGuy forums. :)

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I think the reason you can't merge them is the adjacent partitions are formatted in different filesystem formats. You also can't merge non-adjacent partitions. Finally, although I generally like PM, the one feature I don't trust is the merge feature, it's the only one I've seen scramble things for no apparent reason.

I'd backup all the data on the drive, then delete all but the C: partition, run the recovery console and do a FIXBOOT to restore the standard XP loader, and then create the partitions required, or simply extend the C: partition with PM to use the extra space.

Leiki

Thank you so much for your help. I was able to run the recovery console and fixboot successfully, however it didn't fix it at all :( . Is there anything else I could do?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
What is the current state of the machine? Like I said, I'd do backups of any important data first, since this sounds like a tangled mess.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts