Solved Questions about RAID Setup

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Lu Zhun

Hello. I am installing 2 Samsung 850 Pro (256gb) versions and am going to set them up as RAID 0. I am just going to list the options I see the motherboard BIOS is giving me when creating the RAID and would like to know what the best setup is and maybe more explanation on what each option is about? Thank you for your time.

Questions about RAID setup:

1. Stripe Block - The higher the better? 64kb up to 256kb

2. Initialization: Fast or none?

3. Gigabyte Boundary: On or off?

4. Sector Size: The higher the better? 512 B up to 4096 B

5. Read Policy options: Set to NA? Read Ahead? or Read Cache?

6. Write Policy options: Set to Writeback? or WriteThru?

Triple6

Rob
So you are using the integrated AMD RAID.

You can take the default settings for the option.

1). Default or 64KB or 128KB
2). Fast
3). No idea what Gigabyte boundary is, maybe check the motherboard manual
4) 4Kb(4096B)
5) Read Ahead
6) Write Back for better performance. Write through for more data protection.

Be aware that RAID-0 increases the chances of data loss significantly so backups are more important that ever.

Lu Zhun

Awesome! Thanks for the reply. I actually increased number 1 to 256kb. Not sure if that makes any difference?

I think you are right. I am using a the AMD Raid option. I had to put the RAID driver onto a USB stick since Windows 7 was not seeing the drives until I had told it to install that driver first.

I am getting another error though. It is saying that Windows could not format a partition on disk 1. The error occurred while preparing the computer's system volume. Error code: 0x8004242C

I tried deleting those extra partitions that had been created before and created new ones and it is still giving that error message. :confused:

Lu Zhun

Now there is another error. "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

crjdriver

It's My Birthday!
This is just my opinion however onboard raid is less than useless. I always tell people that IF you want raid, then purchase a real raid controller. There is a reason why a quality raid controller costs a lot of money; performance, stability, and reliability. What happens when your mb fails and that board is no longer available? Your raid array is pretty much useless. With a real raid card, it is a simple matter of installing a new board then installing windows to a drive that is not part of the array. Install your raid card and driver. Connect your drives and your array accessible.

The amd onboard raid is not all that great. The intel onboard is better however still not up to the performance of a real hardware raid controller.

Raid is not really for the home user. It is for servers that need drive redundancy and or hot swap capability.

Next you are probably getting the error on install because you need to load the raid driver. There are no win10 raid drivers on the support page for your mb however I have used the win7 raid driver and had it work.

Last edited:

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I think it is Windows 7
The problem NOW is as posted on the new topic
please see my post 7

crjdriver

It's My Birthday!
I see; he has two different threads.

Since you have tried multiple installs, etc, secure erase both drives. Create the array and leave it blank ie unallocated.
Note secure erase is NOT a format or partition delete; it is done via the drive's controller. I use parted magic linux to secure erase drives however samsung also has a utility for this task. For you, I recommend parted magic because asus boards lock the drive and the samsung utility will not work unless you hot plug the drive. Parted magic will allow you to secure erase the drive by putting the system to sleep then waking it backup; the drive will then secure erase.

Note you will have to put the drive controller back to ahci to secure erase. Once done, you can set the controller to raid and create the array. Windows should be able to install as long as the complete array is unallocated.

One more item. Make sure you pull the pw connectors from any other drives. You do not want to secure erase the wrong drive. Have ONLY the ssd drives connected when doing the secure erase.

Lu Zhun

Oh wow! Awesome information guys. Thank you for very much for the details. I am sorry. I should have stated that it is indeed Windows 7. This is the first time I am trying RAID with an AMD chip. I successfully got RAID 0 going on my new computer which has an Intel chipset. I will look into this and perhaps try what you are suggesting with Parted Magic.

Oh yes, do you have a link to a good quality RAID controller that you suggest? I imagine they install into the PCI slot?

I guess the main reason I am using 2 of these SSD's in Raid 0 is for the speed benefit in which I mostly play Skyrim and by doing this, it will cut down on loading screen time when levels are being loaded, etc..
Of course, with RAID 0, I will make sure to save a backup frequently just in case one of the drives happen to fail or perhaps like you were saying, even the motherboard, etc.. so occasional backup is on my list. :D

Lu Zhun

In response to Macboatmaster from the other thread to keep this all on this one, it is Windows 7 Pro - 64 bit edition. I may just have to use Parted Magic or something to create a FAT formatted partition then?

"That motherboard has a UEFI firmware therefore
I tried deleting those extra partitions that had been created before and created new ones and it is still giving that error message.
it must if windows is also being installed to UEFI with a GPT format disc, be installed so that the installation creates a FAT format partition from which the firmware hands control to the FAT partition to load windows

UEFI must load windows from a FAT format partition. It can read NTFS file system but it cannot boot from it
The answer if that is the problem is to install to a complete unallocated partition and Windows will create the necessary partitions including the FAT partition.
Alternatively if the windows installation is to be installed in the - what we may call traditional BIOS and therefore MBR then that must be so set in the firmware

In order to offer further advice which edition of 7 is being installed
64 bit can be installed UEFI/GPT or MBR
32 bit can only be installed MBR"

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You have with respect missed the point you do not need to create any partitions
you simply install in UEFI mode to a total unallocated space
The installation creates the partitions

The answer if that is the problem is to install to a complete unallocated partition and Windows will create the necessary partitions including the FAT partition.
The error
This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk
you mention on the other topic you created is I think caused by the fact that you are trying to install to a drive that is partitioned or you are trying to install in the wrong mode
PLEASE see first image on link below showing usb UEFI mode

Having now created partitions on setup you simply delete them using the windows installation disc option

see here please
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorial...e-firmware-interface-install-windows-7-a.html

The important point is the selection of the installation mode as shown on the link above
Normally, you should be able to delete all the partitions on the Where do you want to install Windows? screen.

Note: If you cannot delete all the partitions on the Where do you want to install Windows? screen.

- Boot the computer using the Windows 7/8/10 installation media.
- On the first screen, press SHIFT+F10 to bring up the command prompt.
- Run the following commands at the command prompt.

diskpart
list disk
(this will give you a listing of the disks on your system)
select disk # (select the disk you want to clean, for example select disk 0)
clean (running the clean command will delete all partitions on the disk)
exit

Even if you are going to use the GPT (GUID Partition Table), you do not need to run the convert gpt command, since you are not creating the partitions at a command prompt.

- Close the command prompt window and continue your Windows installation as usual.

Last edited:

Lu Zhun

Very nice! Thank you once again MacboatMaster for clarifying. I may just be making the problem bigger than what it really is. It may just be a simple solution like you are saying. I will try to work on this some in a few hours from now and try to make it install in UEFI mode. :cool:

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Cheers
Will wait to hear from you
any problems please post
I am online until about 0100 UK time

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts