1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Questions about setting up wireless network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dlesko, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dlesko

dlesko Thread Starter

Hi guys. We currently have one computer, a P1.6 w/512 Megs Ram. I just bought a new computer that i plan on using for gaming that is a Duo Core 2.6 w/2G Ram. I want to put the old computer in my wifes office and my computer im my office and have them both hooked up to the internet. I have cable internet and it is in my office. I bought a wireless router with my new computer but im not sure what i need to do with my my wife's computer. What do i need to be able to get her online? Does it have to be a PCI card or can i buy one the the USB Plug in wireless adapter like this:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2354311&CatId=2699

Also, this says it is USB 2.0, the computer she will be using has USB 1.0 since it is an old computer. Will this still work? And lastly, is there a way she can still use the printer if it is hooked up to my computer in my office? Thanks guys!

Dave

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    You may want to go with a wireless card installed in her computer. A USB 2.0 adapter should work in a PC that has a USB 1.0 port. However it will run at the much slower USB 1.0 data rate, which is probably slower than many wireless data rates.

I will assume your new computer will have some version of Windows Vista. Yes, you can share the printer attached to your computer with other computers on your network:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/e3faee7d-a7cd-40aa-b240-006dca11dc451033.mspx

Based on a very limited amount of personal experience, getting file and printer sharing to work between computers running Vista and XP is a royal pain.

3. mclarenvj

mclarenvj

And i agree with cwwoziniak, you would be better off with a wifi pci card

yes there are ways to connect you printer,
    1. You can buy a print server and be able to print simultaneously
    2. You can hook the Printer to your pc, just for anyone to print to the printer your pc will have to be on.
    NOTE: never ever get some cheap, thing that says it can do file and printer sharing with a 250GB HDD, cause the Printer sharing takes ages to setup, and its very slow to spool the document

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593643

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice