1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Questions about static IP address

Discussion in 'Networking' started by legendary, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. legendary

legendary Thread Starter

About a week ago, my family realized that our internet provider ( rogers ) was giving us only 60GB of internet usage when really we were paying for 80GB of usage. We called to have this cleared up and they told us that we needed to upgrade our modem. Unfortunately, we don't know much about computers and so we agreed to have it upgraded. They upgraded it to a Hitron Technologies CGN2-ROG. ( I forgot the name of our previous modem)
    Once I set up the modem, I noticed that this modem came with wifi as well. So I removed my router. But once I noticed that the internet speed slowed down. I immediately placed the modem/router into bridge mode and set up my Trendnet Router once again.
    For about an hour or so, the internet was working great and all of my devices were connecting. But soon my laptop(Windows 7), my Android(Samsung Galaxy Infuse 4G) and my PS3 was no longer connecting to the router. I tried to look into it and found that they weren't obtaining an IP address. I decided to try and reset the router, this seemed to work. However, only my laptop could connect and have internet. I decided to bear with the fact that my PS3 and Android couldn't get wifi.
    Yesterday, my internet on my laptop disappeared again. It would say " Unidentified Network, No Internet Access". I thought resetting both the router and the modem would work. Again, It worked fine. But I noticed that only my laptop had internet. My main computer(which is windowsXP) no longer had internet access. When I reset everything again, my computer gained internet access but my laptop didn't! So it was either one or the other. Eventually there was IP address Conflicts, or Limited Connectivity.
    Finally, after trying many solutions. Such as using cmd and typing in ipconfig/release and renew. I found that using static IP addresses fixed the problem. All my devices have internet once again.
    But now I have a few questions...
    1) Is this problem due to my router or my modem?
    2) Is there any other method besides Static IP addresses to solve this issue , because I heard that security isn't great for when using this method? ( Please clear this up for me, If im wrong)
    3) When I apply a static IP address, does this prevent me from connecting to other wifi?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you are saying that the router's Dhcp server is enabled but doesn't seem to be working correctly make sure you have the latest firmware and then reset the router to factory default settings and reconfigure it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086133

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice