1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Questions about two sets of RAM (dual channel)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JDonk, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JDonk

JDonk Thread Starter

Hi all, im currently running two 512mb sticks of pc3200 ddr400 RAM with dual channel support.

Tomorrow im installing a pair of 1gb sticks of pc3200 ddr400 also with dual channel support.

My questions are:

1. Ive been told that my 512 sticks even though they are pc3200 will slow down my 1gb sticks is this true?

2. Will I be able to run both pairs in dual channel on A1/A2 and B1/B2

3. What is the optimal placement of the two pairs (if it matters at all. ex 1gbs on A or B)

Thanks everyone in advance.

If my specs matter at all here they are:

Mainboard : Abit AX8 Series(VIA K8T890-8237)
    Chipset : VIA K8T890
    Processor : AMD Athlon 64 3500+ @ 2200 MHz
    Physical Memory : 1024 MB (2 x 512 DDR-SDRAM )
    Video Card : RADEON X800 GTO
    Hard Disk : WDC (80 GB)
    DVD-Rom Drive : _NEC DVD_RW ND-3550A
    Monitor Type : VW26L HDTV10F - 26 inches
    Network Card : IC Plus IP1000 Family Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
    Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 3
    DirectX : Version 9.0c (September 2006)

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    1.Older AMD Athlon 64 systems sometimes would clock down to 333Mhz when all slot were populated. Generally you just have to go into the BIOS and bump the speed back up to 400Mhz.

2. You can still run in dual channel

3. To maintain best dual performance you need to keep them in pairs, so just add the 1GB's to the empty slots.

3. JDonk

JDonk Thread Starter

Thanks man, i poked around in the bios, where can i adjust the speed usually?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Under the memory settings, it varies from board to board. You may have to set the memory options to manual to get options to adjust the speed.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920994

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice