Questions about two sets of RAM (dual channel)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JDonk

Hi all, im currently running two 512mb sticks of pc3200 ddr400 RAM with dual channel support.

Tomorrow im installing a pair of 1gb sticks of pc3200 ddr400 also with dual channel support.

My questions are:

1. Ive been told that my 512 sticks even though they are pc3200 will slow down my 1gb sticks is this true?

2. Will I be able to run both pairs in dual channel on A1/A2 and B1/B2

3. What is the optimal placement of the two pairs (if it matters at all. ex 1gbs on A or B)

Thanks everyone in advance.

If my specs matter at all here they are:

Mainboard : Abit AX8 Series(VIA K8T890-8237)
Chipset : VIA K8T890
Processor : AMD Athlon 64 3500+ @ 2200 MHz
Physical Memory : 1024 MB (2 x 512 DDR-SDRAM )
Video Card : RADEON X800 GTO
Hard Disk : WDC (80 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : _NEC DVD_RW ND-3550A
Monitor Type : VW26L HDTV10F - 26 inches
Network Card : IC Plus IP1000 Family Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 3
DirectX : Version 9.0c (September 2006)

Triple6

First Name
Rob
1.Older AMD Athlon 64 systems sometimes would clock down to 333Mhz when all slot were populated. Generally you just have to go into the BIOS and bump the speed back up to 400Mhz.

2. You can still run in dual channel

3. To maintain best dual performance you need to keep them in pairs, so just add the 1GB's to the empty slots.

JDonk

Thanks man, i poked around in the bios, where can i adjust the speed usually?

Triple6

First Name
Rob
Under the memory settings, it varies from board to board. You may have to set the memory options to manual to get options to adjust the speed.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online