1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Questions about Ubuntu 6.0.6 "Dapper Drake" release

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by lotuseclat79, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Thread Starter

Ubuntu 6.0.6 LTS Live CD runs in memory off of the CD and does not include a way to handle RAR archives.

Question #1:
    Since the Live CD sets up a faux directory structure (in memory) to run from the CD, what will happen if the following command is run from the Live CD running in memory with Ubuntu being installed on disk?

# sudo apt-get install rar p7zip unrar

Will the p7zip binary release be installed in the memory directory setup or will it not install in memory, and/or try to install it onto my disk?

Question #2:
    I have discovered that p7zip has ported the command line part of 7zip.exe to Linux and has an available binary and source release for download from sourceforge.

If I tar the bz2 binary release from sourceforge into the memory directory setup of the Live CD, and follow its instructions for installation, will that be sufficient to get a working RAR archive capability for the duration of the Live CD operation (given that it installs in the faux directory stucture in memory), i.e. until the computer is shutdown where anything that is installed (not from the Live CD) will be destroyed?

-- Tom

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Thread Starter

Downloading the binary images of P7zip included the p7za binary, which can simply be copied by root to the /usr/local/bin directory.

Of course, then the dependent shared libraries need to also be installed, the first of which is: libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3

I will post further information in this thread as it becomes available on this problem and how to get the RAR capability working for the Live CD.

-- Tom

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542116

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice