1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Questions about using AVG

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by grandpaw7, Dec 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

I just uninstalled Norton and installed AVG.

AVG says that the next tests and updates will be on 12/21 at 8AM. Does that mean I need to be sure my computer is online then, or, if it is not, will the tests and updates take place when I do go online after that time?

AVG says about the rescue disk that it "enables you to scan and clean files on your computer in MS-DOS mode (at the command prompt). This is often necessary when removing virsues on computers which have sharing violations or insufficient user access rights. It is also useful when your computer's system areas have become infected."

My computer doesn't share with any other computer and I guess I have all the user access rights available. I presume that if my antivirus programs work right I don't have to worry about the system areas becoming infected.

So my impression is that, while there may be some remote chance of needing the rescue disk, it is indeed remote. Am I wrong about that?

The rescue disk program says the disk should be updated whenever AVG is updated. That seems like a lot of trouble. That's why the question above.

Thanks, grandpaw7

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!