1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Questions about using web browsers and flash

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by ryrhino, Oct 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ryrhino

ryrhino Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD A8-5500 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, AMD64 Family 21 Model 16 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 5310 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7560D, 768 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 873 GB (636 GB Free);
    Motherboard: LENOVO,
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Hello,

I have read this article and have questions. I don't understand some parts of it.

From the article The other option is to option is to disable Flash from working altogether. You won’t get the permission request notifications, so you’ll have to re-enable flash manually if you need it to run on a specific website, but this is going to be the most secure option as Flash won’t be running at all.

If I choose to do what this article is suggesting I don't understand if I am suppose to turn flash off in all browsers or if I am suppose to leave flash on and choose the ask first option.

From this article While Chrome once included an option to disable browser plugins entirely, the latest versions of the browser removed that feature. Instead, the only option for disabling Flash on Chrome is to force permissions. Go to Settings > Advanced > Content Settings > Flash. Then, in the option for Flash, turn on “Ask First.” You can also add specific websites to either block entirely or allow to play Flash content without needing permission first.

I don't understand what this sentence means Instead, the only option for disabling Flash on Chrome is to force permissions.

An option in Chrome settings in content then flash allows for the ask first option to be turned on or off. Does turning the ask first option off disable flash in Chrome?

Does Chrome not allow for flash to be turned off?

Please explain to me what I need help with understanding.

The browsers I use are Vivaldi, Opera, and Chrome.

For an average computer user do you suggest having flash on or off? Why?

Please tell the main reasons why you have flash on or off.

Thanks for your help.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    The 2 choices in that article are to switch flash off in each browser or to set it to 'ask' in each browser.

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I have Flash in Vivaldi, Chrome and Opera, all 3 use the same Chromium engine 'under the hood' and the Flash for Chrome add-on.

I need it for a couple of internet speed-tests I use.

I use Vivaldi all the time, Chrome and Opera just for testing.

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Just so you know, if you've never used Chrome or Opera, as I never have, then you would not have flash in Vivaldi. My computer doesn't have the PPAPI version that these browsers use. I've never installed it.

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You can get the latest Flash for Vivaldi from within Vivaldi with this link :- https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

I have it set to 'ask' if I want to run Flash or not.

7. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    But I don't want flash. Since it will be abandoned in 2020 by Adobe, the point is trying to use a browser without it to see how I get on.

8. ryrhino

ryrhino Thread Starter

plodr Which browser do you use? Just curious. Why do you use the browser you do use?

According to the Flash Player help page in the Vivaldi browser I don't have Flash installed.

9. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I never said you did.

10. 2twenty2

2twenty2

I use Opera mostly and I have Flash disabled for security reasons. In fact I have Flash disabled in Edge, IE and Firefox also.

11. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    My day to day browser is Palemoon. I switched to it when FF started getting weird (at least I thought some of the decisions were weird and the browser really slowed down).

I also always have backup browsers. My backups are FF Quantum ESR (the extended support release only gets security patches, is supported for 1 year and doesn't change versions in that year.) Vivaldi and Waterfox (only on my 64 bit, they don't offer 32 bit browser).

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217841

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice