1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Questions about Vista and DRM

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by jvnderwe, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jvnderwe

jvnderwe Thread Starter

Hi guys, I'm going to be building a new system with Vista sometime this year and I'm just in the process of doing some research on this new version of Windows. So, I was just wondering if any of you could explain the details of DRM in Windows Vista. I've heard a number of people complaining about this but I've haven't been able to find a clear (that is, not overly technical) explanation on exactly what it will entail. So, I've thought of a few questions that I'll list below, any answers you can give will be greatly appreciated.

I've read many times over that DRM will place restrictions on HD media like Blu-ray, and HD-DVDs such that you may need a new monitor to view them in full HD quality, but do the DRM restrictions extend beyond this?
    Does DRM only apply to Blu-ray and HD-DVDs or does it affect regular DVDs as well?
    If I download a HD video clip to my computer (as I occassionally do from Fileshack for example) will Vista automatically reduce the quality of this?
    What, if any, difference will there be for me if my monitor has a VGA connection as opposed to DVI?
    Will DRM place restrictions on other media? For example, will I still be able to make copies of my various CDs/DVDs? Will I still be able to rip music from my CDs into mp3 format so I can listen to them on my computer or mp3 player?
    Will DRM affect any online content, place any restrictions on gaming, or anything else you can think of?

Thanks.

2. cliffg

cliffg

I can't answer all those question (hope someone will)

I have some 1080 HD movie trailers from the quicktime site, and they play just fine - no obvious degragation of quality that i can see.

I have an Acer AL1916W widescreen monitor that unfortunately only has VGA input, and my Grfx card is DVI output, but I have a small adapter that I connect to the back of the video card that changes from DVI to VGA. No problems there.

Yes, you can burn cd/dvd, not seen issues with that myself yet.
    I have Itunes, and can 'import' a music cd without problems (having it convert to mp3 format)

Hope that helps some.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540701

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice