Questions and Comments About Windows 7 Libraries

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jack1000

Hey All,

I got a 32 GB for data burning. Works great! All I wanted to do was to have it save my Bookmarks, Pictures, Documents, the basics. I selected the "Let Me Choose Option." and it seemed to back up a lot of data 1.5GB. My question is, in Windows 7 there is a Download Folder, I also use Firefox and it creates a download folder by default. Is the downloads folder considered a part of Windows 7's library? It does not seem to be listed by Windows 7 as a default under the Libraries list.

It doesn't matter too much, because I would just get fresh downloads of new Internet programs anyway for any type of reinstall. If I were to make a new Windows Library containing the downloads folder, would I just be double-dipping? Recreating what has already been backed up?

Please provide any comments or personal experiences using this Windows feature.

Jack

Jack1000

I have a question about Windows 7's Library System,

I added a Bookmarks Library to the default libraries, such as Documents, Music, Pictures Video. I also have an Imported Bookmarks Folder in My Documents folder. This is so once a month or so, I use IE's Import/Export Wizard to Export my bookmarks.

My question is when I add a bookmark to the Bookmark.html file, does that also get changed in the Bookmarks Library that I created?

Jack

TerryNet

Terry
My question is when I add a bookmark to the Bookmark.html file, does that also get changed in the Bookmarks Library that I created?
If and only if the file is in a folder that has been included in the Bookmarks Library.

Jack1000

Greetings,

I am going to mark this thread "Unsolved" because I still have a lot of questions about Windows 7 library system. Here are my specific thoughts and concerns:

Since so many friends and family I know have issues regarding Windows 7's Library Management System, I thought I would start up a list of some good questions that the community could help answer for clarification. Maybe this will help others. Currently the use of the system is very confusing to many. I found previous versions of Windows, such as Windows XP's file system with the wonderful "My Documents" so much easier to manage. I think MS should go back to the traditional "My Documents" system in future versions of Windows and dump the library concept. Under the library system for Windows 7, it is too hard to find things!

Here are my questions for discussion:

1 .Why is the Library system used over the old My Documents, where sub-folders, under previous versions of Windows like Pictures were all in one place?

2 .Why do some many users dislike the library system in Windows 7?

3 .Does the Library System just create unnecessary shortcuts for files and folders taking up system resources unnecessarily?

4. Can I have a folder in the Library and no place else in the system?

5. How long does it take Windows 7 to build a library database?

6 .What is the difference between saving a document to for example your Favorite locations in Windows 7 Explorer and the library?

7 .Where can users find their IE Favorites (Bookmarks) in Windows 7? Apparently, the Library “Favorites” of such things as Desktop, My Recent Places, is not the same thing.

8. Can the Library System be turned off? If yes, is there any potential for damage that could come to your system or data with items not being archived?

Jack

TerryNet

Terry
You'll be happy to learn that Libraries are "off" by default in Windows 8.1.

File management in Windows 7 is really no different than it was in previous versions with one significant change and one significant addition.

The change is that C:\Documents and Settings\<user accounts> is now C:\Users\<user accounts>. Since some programs may still have the old names hard coded several "junctions" were added to redirect references to the new names. This is almost entirely behind the scenes, and you may not ever even need to know this.

The addition is Libraries. I repeat, the Library concept is an addition. Libraries look like folders, but they are not folders. They are a way to view (that's view, not actually organize or re-organize or copy or move) multiple folders as if they were all in one big folder.

If you are viewing a Library and store a new file it will go into the folder that is the "Default save location" for that library. I usually want a new file to go into a specific lower level folder so just drill down to that one.

Let me try to address your numbered issues.

1. Folders and files in My Documents are still in My Documents. Libraries are an addition, that you needn't use. Removing My Pictures from My Documents was, I think, just a "clean up" action; Microsoft thinks that we prefer to think of Music, Pictures, Videos and Documents as four separate categories of files.

2. Probably because they don't understand it and have no interest in spending a half hour learning?

3. No; it just displays multiple folders as if they were in one containing folder.

4. No. Only actual folders can be included in a library.

5. I dunno. Maybe up to 1/10 second for each Location in the library? Since by default there are two locations in each of the predefined libraries that is not time you would notice. And, I'm probably over-estimating.

6. Your question makes no sense. Documents are saved in folders, not in "Windows 7 Explorer" (unless that is a folder name) and not in a library.

7. Where are Internet 'Favorites' hidden in my P C?. In other words, no change from XP except for the earlier noted change from "Documents and Settings" to "Users."

8.I don't know any way to turn Libraries off. If, however, you right click on a library in the Windows Explorer Navigation pane you can remove it from that pane or delete it entirely. Whether you archive (back up) your data is entirely independent of libraries.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online