1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Questions on BIOS flashing - help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hansmax, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hansmax

hansmax Thread Starter

Stats:
    -P4 2.0 GHz Pentium
    -ASUS P4S533 MoBo
    -Abit Siluro GeForce 4 MX Video Card

I'd appreciate some input on my train of thought here to see if I'm nuts or what.
    I'm getting nowhere trying to install the card. I point the wizard right at F:\Drivers\Win2KXP and get results like "Device not found" or "Not the right software.' I'm positive I'm looking at the right drivers, but some time at the Abit site leads me to believe that I may need a BIOS flash. AIDA32 tells me the the MoBo BIOS and Video BIOS "are more than two years old. May need to be updated." I've never done this and know it can be tricky. Do I want to go to ASUS and download the MoBo BIOS? Will this also update the Video BIOS? The Abit site does not seem to provide such a thing. They just suggest a BIOS upgrade, not saying if Motherboard or Video. This is a really interesting area, because I have not been here before and have a chance to learn something, but would really like to not screw up. I would deeply appreciate any input you guys (or should I say, people) have. You have come through in the past and I know I can count on something, even if it's only encouragement. The sites I am dealing with are:

www.phoenix.com/en/products/core+system+software/other+platform+products/awardbios+6.0/default.htm
    www.abit-usa.com/faq/mb/check.php
    usa.asus.com/products/mb/ezflash.htm

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You should ignore what AIda32 says, its a programmed response.

You ONLY flash a BIOS to correct a problem that has been acknowledged by the motherboard make and for which an updated BIOS has been issued.

There is a very real possibility that a BIOS flash can fail, and that is usually the finish for the motherboard.

Flashes for Video BIOS are entirely separate to flashes for the motherboard BIOS.

3. eoJeoJ

eoJeoJ

DO NOT FLASH YOUR BIOS UNLESS YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO!!! I recently flashed my BIOS on my laptop...everything went according to plan...then I tried turning my laptop back on and *poof*...NOTHING...I've basically rendered my laptop useless...

SERIOUSLY, don't do it unless you ABSOLUTELY have to...even if you're 300% sure of what you're doing...DON'T DO IT...

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Flashing the BIOS can be dangerous. But I do it to all my machines whenever a new one is available, even the beta versions of BIOS.

But the most frequent cause of the problem you seem to be having is outdated or absent chipset drivers for the motherboard. Does this board also have onboard video? Has it been disabled for the new card?

Most of your drivers can be found here:

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/download2.aspx?item=P4S533&type=like&file_type=Drivers

You can get a manual, too, in the selections on the left on that page if you don't have one.

There doesn't appear to be a general download for the chipset as a whole, so either they are included in the operating system, or the individual drivers are sufficient.

If you decide to flash your BIOS, be absolutely sure you have the right model. Your board comes in a few models, some of which have BIOS protection and some that don't.

If you decide to do it, we'll help.

5. ranger007

ranger007

I also re-flash the bios when a new one is available from manufacturer. But you do need to be very careful.

Look to see exactly what the revision number of the motherboard that you have installed is, then go to the manufacturer's site to download the bios and the flash instructions. Read the instructions twice (it took me a couple of readings to realize that I needed to make some notes, such as writing the file name down beforehand so I would have it handy). Go slowly, but it is a pretty straight forward procedure.

However if you have many doubts, you probably shouldn't do it.

Good luck.

6. hansmax

hansmax Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses. I'll look at the chipset angle, although I was able to install a different card. It fried out so now I'm back to the original, which never installed 1 and a half years ago. No time now, but I will check back in soon.

7. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Almost every piece of equipment when first released comes with what is basically a beta BIOS. It's not untill many have used it in the real world with the myriad of hardware/software combinations that are out there, that the manufacturers are able to fine tune it due to the problems/conflicts which will show up. I flash everything at least once, my DVD burner needed 3 updates to get it right.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you are having problems installing your NVidia Video card drivers then go to NVidia and download their latest Unified driver, version 61.77, and install that. The file automatically installs the drivers all by itself once you run it.

This does not appear to be a situation where a BIOS update is required.

9. hansmax

hansmax Thread Starter

I did what you suggested, triple 6. Device Manager still shows Video Controller with a big yellow "?". I also noticed that I don't have Standby on the shutdown options, which was how it was before, until I installed my other card, upon which I had standby and hibernate options. Then that card burned out and I am stuck back with my "problem child". Thanks to all for the input so far. You probably saved me from doing something stupid. The install of the drivers seemed to go according to Hoyle.

10. hansmax

hansmax Thread Starter

What do you think about the possibility that the card is a dud?

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Did you uninstall the old drivers first? What was the old card?

You must also install the video card using Windows' built-in Standard VGA Display Adaptor drivers before installing the Nvidia Drivers. And you must also install the motherboard Chipset drivers prior to installing the video drivers.

12. hansmax

hansmax Thread Starter

I did not have a chance to uninstall the old card while it was in because the monitor was black. Once I got the new (old, old) card in, I did uninstall the Nvidia program in Add/Remove programs. As far as the card that puked, I cannot find the box any where (although I know it's around here somewhere). The card is manufactured by PNY. It's another Nvidea, close to the same capabilities as this one. As far as chipset drivers, I'm looking at the MB disc, and don't see them as such (Sis Minidrvier, Sis AGP Driver, Winbond SMART I/O driver). Would they be Pnp? What do you mean by "You must also install the video card using Windows' built-in Standard VGA Display Adaptor drivers before installing the Nvidia Drivers." How do I go about doing this? Sorry to sound completely ignorant, but I am.

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    SiS has individual drivers instead of one unified driver. Make sure to install the Minidriver and AGP drivers prior to the display driver.

In Device Manager the card should be listed as Standard VGA not as NVidia, if its listed as NVidia then there are some remnents of the NVIdia driver left behind that are causing a conflict.

NVidia driver removal utility: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3233
    Then remove any and all display adaptors from Device Manager and reboot. Windows should detect the card on reboot and search for drivers - do not ponit it to the driver - but click next all the way thru the wizard and then finish whih will cause Windows to install a generic driver. Then try installing the latest driver using the installation file.

You may also want to use Windows Update to install the NVidia driver if it is listed as a driver update - sometimes this can work if a regular driver install keeps failing.

14. hansmax

hansmax Thread Starter

Thanks, triple6, this will keep me busy awhile. I'll check back in.

15. hansmax

hansmax Thread Starter

I followed your instructions to the letter, including running the Nasty File Remover (removed 18 files), but the result was sameold-sameold. The Found New Hardware Wizard told me that it couldn't find the files, so I finished out of that, then the driver install from the video card set up the install shield, started, and came back with the message I've seen three or four hundred times: "Device could not be found!" What about the possibility that I need to find the driver myself on the XP installation disk in a cab file somewhere and direct the Found New Hardware Wizard to that. I've done that in Win98, but don't know if the same would apply to XP. The little voice in the back of my head telling me that this card is a dud keeps getting louder.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270304

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice