1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Questions on reinstalling windows etc.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cheese, Oct 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cheese

cheese Thread Starter

Question #1: Since i got my computer i was careless and downloaded all this stuff i never needed. Now my computer is all crudded up and i want to reinstall windows and start over again. (Only bad thing for me would be having to install all those updates and drivers gain :/ ) Whats the best and easiest way to reinstall windows and start over again from scratch?

Question #2: Before i reinstall theres some programs that i would want to burn to a data cd so their not erased (i dont have the cd's anymore, probably lost). How can i burn them to a data cd without the original CD? Do i burn the folder? (Example: Would i burn the folder " QuickTime" in my program files and it would work when i move it from the CD to my computer?)
    -Any help would be appreciated.

2. stod73

stod73

and the cheese stands alone....

3. P3-450

P3-450

Hi

I have 2 pc's networked together, so when i want to format and reinstall everything i would back all my important data and things that i need to my other computer. and then move them back after.

I if you only have one pc then it would be a slower process.

All the programs and files you need should be burnt to a CD.

You say that you have a lot of programs that you want to back up. If you have kept the original downloaded Executable file for the program then you can reuse that. Don't copy the actual Folder for the program as this will not work when you reinstall, you need to install the program again.

Hope this helps:)

4. prospect

prospect

I always DL to my desktop so in case I like something I can reinstall it later. I must have 7 cd's with different prog's on them that I have saved cause I couldn't remember where I got them from in the first place, or I didn't want to wait forever to DL them again. What kind of PC are you using? The new HP'S have a funny way of reinstalling the OS.

5. cheese

cheese Thread Starter

I have a local built PC...i dont have the orignal install file so it sux 4 me

6. prospect

prospect

Did ya get the windows installation cd with your PC? If ya did that's all ya need. If ya didn't you have new problems.

7. cheese

cheese Thread Starter

I do have it :) But i dont have the install files for those programs

8. prospect

prospect

Well, it looks like your going to have to go back and find them again. Then put em on a cd so ya don't have to DL them again.

9. marcus77

marcus77

This won't be easy:

1) Install and run Belarc Advisor.
    http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
    This will inventory your computer, and produce a html file that you can print out.

2) From the printout, determine which programs you want to keep and what hardware you have.

3) Find all of the CD's, floppies, and keys for the OS and software that you will want once you reformat.

4) Create a folder to hold all of the programs and drivers that you will need once you reinstall, that you don't have disks for.

5) Download the programs that you no longer have the setup files or installation disks for. Download the most recient drivers for your hardware. Place all of these files into the folder you created in step 4.

6) Back-up your Favorites and/or Bookmarks. If you use Mozilla or Netscape, you can back-up you entire profile. Place these things into your folder from step 4.

7) Write down any critical information, such as dial-up numbers and passwords for your internet connection.

8) Burn all of the contents of the folder from step 4 onto CD(s).

9) Verify that the data on the CD(s), by opening them in Windows Explorer.

10) Now you should be ready to reformat you hard drive.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169697

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice