Questions ranging from Permissions to Admin Accounts

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

robert2513

Good day everyone.

Got a couple of questions today dealing with Windows XP.

First part deals with file/folder permissions.

Heres what I would like to do. I have this external hard drive where I would like to have three folders: an archive folder containing old documents and e-Mail, an music folder, and a backup folder to where backup software would create timely backups of documents, e-mails, etc. etc. Is it possible to setup permissions so that the archive folder and music folder were read-only to local and network users and only full access (read, write) to the sys. admin? For the backup folder, is it possible to again only allow read only access for users, and allow read, write access for my backup program and sys. admin? I remember in Windows 2k there was a setting in the control panel (I think it was called Users) and in there, when creating groups and users, a sys. admin could put checks by what each user was allowed and not allowed to do i.e. write, read, etc. However, I do not see this feature in my Windows XP machine (its the Pro version.)

My other question deals with Administrator accounts. This question actually comes from ideal curiosity, not an actual problem. I know that Windows, by default, setups up an Administrator's account and is only accessible through safe mode, however, I know there is a registry hack to have it show up on the welcome screen. :D Any who, is this account any different than an administrator I setup in the users control panel? If its not, then why does Windows make you create another administrator account, so that in the end you have the default one and one you create yourself? My thinking is if they are the same, then thats like creating two root users in Linux. If they were different, that would make a bit more sense. Kind of like in Linux, having a root user and a super-user. The super-user having some power while the root has full power.

Thanks in advance for any input. Always appreciate it.

However, I do not see this feature in my Windows XP machine (its the Pro version.)
Are you sure your External HDD is formatted NTFS to take advantage of the NTFS security?

My other question deals with Administrator accounts. This question actually comes from ideal curiosity, not an actual problem. I know that Windows, by default, setups up an Administrator's account and is only accessible through safe mode, however, I know there is a registry hack to have it show up on the welcome screen. Any who, is this account any different than an administrator I setup in the users control panel? If its not, then why does Windows make you create another administrator account, so that in the end you have the default one and one you create yourself?
The reasoning behind this is simple. There will always be 1 default Administrator with a globally known name. If you at some other time decide to change it you can... but would you really want to support as a company a product that user 1 calls Admininstrator Joe Blow and User 2 calls administrator Nutmeg? it would make it very difficult support wise so they have a default user called Administrator no matter what. Like I said it can be changed its just a "standard" that windows has in place.

robert2513

Quote:
However, I do not see this feature in my Windows XP machine (its the Pro version.)
Are you sure your External HDD is formatted NTFS to take advantage of the NTFS security?
Yes it is formatted in NTFS. When I right click and go to properties, there is a Sharing tab but it only has Enable Simple File Sharing.

Quote:
My other question deals with Administrator accounts. This question actually comes from ideal curiosity, not an actual problem. I know that Windows, by default, setups up an Administrator's account and is only accessible through safe mode, however, I know there is a registry hack to have it show up on the welcome screen. Any who, is this account any different than an administrator I setup in the users control panel? If its not, then why does Windows make you create another administrator account, so that in the end you have the default one and one you create yourself?
The reasoning behind this is simple. There will always be 1 default Administrator with a globally known name. If you at some other time decide to change it you can... but would you really want to support as a company a product that user 1 calls Admininstrator Joe Blow and User 2 calls administrator Nutmeg? it would make it very difficult support wise so they have a default user called Administrator no matter what. Like I said it can be changed its just a "standard" that windows has in place.
To me, it just seems silly to have more than one administrator account. Like having two dictators for one country. :rolleyes: But I do understand where you are coming from.

Well you have me stumped I know XP pro has the ability for simple file sharing or true file sharing... just not sure why you don't have the other option... You surey our on pro and not on Home?

robert2513

How do you enable "ture file sharing"?

When I right click on a folder on either my computer or the external hard drive, there is only the option for "Simple File Sharing."

I meant true file sharing.

III. Disable Simple File Sharing on Windows XP Pro

If you have Windows XP Pro, follow these instructions to enable password-protected file sharing. If Simple File Sharing is not disabled, shared folders will not be password-protected - this will allow any users and network viruses easy access into your computer. If you have already disabled this feature on your computer, skip to the next section.

Click on the Start button, then select the Control Panel.
In the Control Panel window, double-click on Folder Options. If you do not see the Folder Options icon, click on Switch to Classic View located on the left side of the window to see all Control Panel options.
Click the View tab.
Uncheck Use simple file sharing.
Click Apply and then click OK.
Close the Control Panel window. Proceed to IV. Create user accounts.

robert2513

My mistake. That was a typo on my part. Natural bad-speller. :eek:

Ah, now thats the settings I remember. Thank you for the steps.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts