1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Questions re replacing old computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by die_fiend, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. die_fiend

die_fiend Thread Starter

I'm having to look at new notebooks since my Dell recently passed away, and looking at the options has really made me realise how out of touch I've become. If anyone could answer these questions it would help me out no end.

1. Will Vista with DirectX 10 throw up compatibility issues with older games like FarCry, FEAR, HL2, The Sims 2?
    2. Can only certain graphics cards run DirectX 10 graphics?

Also, what's a good dual-core processor to go for at the moment? It's definitely going to need to handle new games smoothly, and I'd rather stick with Intel since it's what I know.

Thanks!

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

I can't tell you about games because I don't do any but for processors, there is no comparison between core 2 Duo and Quad core Intel and anything Amd makes anymore.

3. shinybeast

shinybeast

die_fiend: Can't help much with the games either, but I think they will work, some may need tweaking. As far as #2, if you are getting a new laptop, then AFAIK, any new laptop that comes with Vista will have DX10 compatible graphics adapter. For tower/desktop, older cards like 7000 series NVIDIA don't understand DX10, but newer 8000 series supports it. It's mainly a question of how old the graphics card is.

Rich-M: I second your sig. {edited. maybe this isn't the right place for what was here.}

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Probably right but I have had it there for months!

5. die_fiend

die_fiend Thread Starter

Thanks juju and Rich for your help!

I've narrowed down to two notebooks - Toshiba Satellite P300-150, and HP Pavilion dv7-1004ea. I was wondering if someone would take a look at the specs below and tell me their thoughts? Particularly, I'm wondering about the difference in graphics cards and CPUs. I'm not a hardcore gamer but I want a laptop that can run recent games reasonably well. Also, I know I won't be able to use the full 4 GB of RAM but I don't think I can downgrade.

(I've used the code tag because I couldn't see another way of getting the formatting to work).

Code:
    Toshiba                                        HP
    -------                                        --
    Processor:
    Intel Core 2 Duo T8300                         Intel Core 2 Duo P7350
       *2.4 GHz                                       *2.0 GHz
       *3 MB L2 cache                                 *3 MB L2

OS
    Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)            Windows Vista Business (32-bit)

Memory
    4 GB DDR2 SDRAM (667 MHz)                      4 GB DDR2 SDRAM

HDD
    500 (250+250) GB SATA 5400rpm                  320 GB SATA 5400rpm

Graphics
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 with 512MB         NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT with 512MB 
    dedicated VRAM                                 dedicated VRAM

Cheers!

6. BG-0

BG-0

Well, the Toshiba is a very regular factory-built, great in all other specs than the graphics card. If 320 GB HDD space is fine for you and you want to play games, get the HP.. Just my opinion, thou.

7. die_fiend

die_fiend Thread Starter

Okay. Is the difference in CPU clock speed kind of negligible, then?

8. BG-0

BG-0

Kind of, not totally, but that big of a difference in the gfx cards is more significant.

9. die_fiend

die_fiend Thread Starter

Right, that was the main thing I was unsure about, so thanks! :)

10. Compiler

Compiler

But there are some issues...

Currently, all Nvidia graphic chips from the G84~G94 family (code names) have engineering defects that are most dangerous to notebooks. IE: Notebook no longer works because the video chip self destructed. This includes ALL GeForce 8400~8800GT (Not the G80 or 8800GTX,Ultra, GTs 320/640) or GTX 260/280. But also includes the 9x00 series since they are using the same G92 cores. Desktop cards are not as effected as the notebooks because its how notebooks operate that causes the GPUs to die quickly.

The graphic difference in performace between those to is minimal... but THAT ONE, with the ATi will easily live longer.... but it is the slower of the two.

Rich-M: I'm a Texan... A lot of us are not impressed either. That lady is scary. Her husband admits to doing those things... so... I guess its her husband doing "her job" some of the time? There are almost no McCain/Palin signs in my city.

11. win2kpro

win2kpro

Too bad more Texans don't see it the way you do. (y)

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

Amen win2K, and good for you compiler...the good news is there is still time for the rest to see th light!

13. Compiler

Compiler

Hopefully die_fiend getst this message about the Defective GeForce chips before he buys. Even some of my friends have bought such notebooks. I think that is also why they are selling abit on the cheap. What is really bull, is that Nvidia is going to repackage these same chips into various GT-1xx class chips. Man these new model numbers from Nividia suck!

What happens next year when new low end chips come out? GT 3xx & GT 4xx (in which the GT 3xx are slower than the GTx 260)?!

---------
    Well keep in mind... a lot of those without college education vote for McCain~Bush~Palin. I think that says a lot. I mean, really - these people scream "NO TAXES" - but don't hear "you won't see an increase"... since most people in the USA make about $40K a year (I'm guessing). But yeah, an idiot 20yr old kid I know of spouted about taxes. He makes about $13k a year and thinks trickle-down economics work... ;) If I was lucky enough to make $1 million dollars a year, paying an extra $100,000 a year wouldn't HURT me. A room full of white people at Palin rallys, screaming and cursing... is very scary on many levels.

14. Compiler

Compiler

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757546

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice