1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Questions re saving and retrieving data files from DVD

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by provlima, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. provlima

provlima Thread Starter

I'm trying to get some clarifications on using DVD's to back up data files and retrieving those backed up files.

If you save files to a DVD-R, must all the files you wish to save be saved in the same session?

Are the data files "burned" to the DVD or copies and pasted to it?

Will retrieving those saved files from the DVD in the future be a simple copy and paste from the DVD to the hard drive?

Thanks for your help

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Yes
    you can use software that writes multiple sessions to the DVD - I do NOT do this for backup files that are important - I prefer to do a slow write to the DVD and verify and close - Anything really important, you may want to make two copies - dvds can fail
    should be copied - using some burning software you should be asked to "add files" that you want to burn and then you burn a copy

Whats you Operating system? Mac, Windows , version
    What writer software do you have on the machine ?

make sure you use good quality DVDs

3. provlima

provlima Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply... I am using W7.

The DVD writer that came with the Dell XPS PC uses Roxio software.

Does W7 have a built in DVD write capability??

Also will the saved data files also be viewable and be able to be copied into a Mac laptop??

Thanks again

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    use the Roxio software to burn the DVDs - I usually slow the write speed down - when you get tothe burn section of roxio after adding all the files, it may have an option to change the speed.

I;m not an expert on Mac OS - so don't know what the latest situation is on that - I know many years ago I could not read a cd but things have changed since then.

you could start a new thread in the apple forum, something like reading Windows created DVD on a Mac and supply all info - make and models of the machines - usually we do not like duplicate posts - but I think - writing DVDs on windows and reading on macs can be separate posts ...and leave this open for more answers on your windows questions

5. Hughv

Hughv

I have created DVDs on Windows and read them on MACs, so I think this is not a problem.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Multisession uses more space than single session, and the DVD nneds to be "closed" before it will be readable on a Mac or other machine. It is certainly better overall to write all the files to DVD in one session since more space will be available on the DVD (the more sessions, the less space) and recovery is also easier if the DVD becomes unreadable at some later time.

But files can be accessed from the DVD and even opened so long as no writing is required, and they can be copied from a DVD just like from any other medium.

The only way that files can get on optical media is by "burning". Windows has a good internal burner (can be accessed by the SendTo menu) and supports multisession. You can even "erase" files from the DVD, but be aware that the files are not truly "erased"--they are simply removed from the table of contents and they are still on the DVD, so that space is not freed up for use (the same when replacing a file with a new copy).

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!