1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Questions regarding using Sandboxie, and using Virtual PC 2004 on the same machine

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by john2004, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john2004

john2004 Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I have been using the free Sandboxie www.sandboxie.com to add a little more security to online browsing. Can I just delete the folders or programs downloaded to the sandbox with my normal secure delete program, i.e, eraser http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/ ? I doubt that Sandboxie erases the files in a secure manner by itself. I tried using eraser on some files I downloaded to Sandboxie & it "seemed" to work.

I am also considering installing Microsofts "Virtual PC 2004" since it's free now. Can I use Sandboxie and Virtual PC 2004 on the same machine ? Does it matter which of the two programs I install first ?

Thanks for your help.
    John

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I can't imagine the two application conflicting with each other. I have VPC and VMWARE running here, they play nice together, even running simultaneously. :) I don't use Sandboxie, so I don't know exactly how it handles file deletions.

3. john2004

john2004 Thread Starter

Hi JohnWill,

Thanks for your reply to my questions.

I have now installed both Sandboxie and Virtual PC 2004 on my computer and they seem to be working fine. However, regarding Virtual PC 2004, I am having trouble setting up an internet connection for my virtual machine. I am running Windows XP media center SP2 on both the host and the virtual machine.

I have Zone Alarm and AVG Free installed on both the host and VM. I would appreciate any advice on setting up the network connection so that I can access the internet from the VM.

If there is a website link with step by step instructions it would be helpful. I am not 100% sure what to do based on on the Microsoft help file.

It seems Microsoft recommends a shared internet connection setting. I want to do it in a secure manner, i.e., I want to keep the VM separate from my host machine as much as possible. If I install a freeware program on the VM machine, I don't want a virus or some other form of malware or spyware that the freeware might contain, to be able to infect the host machine.

In the VM machine right now, the network connections shortcut says, "unavailable device missing". If I double click the network connections icon, it says, "modem removed, unavailable device, COM1". I'm using a standard dial up 56K internet connection.

I would appreciate any advice you can offer.

Thanks for your help.
    John

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!