1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

quick DNS help needed

Discussion in 'Networking' started by PK-her0, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

Hi guys,

i had a box lying around and installed server 2003 on it...
    i set it up as a domain controller
    i named the domain fds.network.domain
    but i cant connect my xp laptop to it...its complaining about DNS
    do i have to have DNS running on the server...
    i thought it would get DNS from the ISP
    i installed DNS (i think) but i still cant log on to the domain...

i change from workgroup to domain and then i get a server could not be contacted

and this is the details...

Note: This information is intended for a network administrator. If you are not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you received this information, which has been recorded in the file C:\windows\debug\dcdiag.txt.

The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain FDS.network.domain:

The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
    (error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.FDS.network.domain

please advise me
    thanks

2. Daredeval756

Daredeval756

yup, fire up the dns app in the server manager, or point the dns to your router, thats what i do to cut down on resource usage on my servers

3. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

where do you configure that devil?
    is it simple...
    just a bit more info....please...evil one!!!

4. Speakersrock

Speakersrock

I have had this problem before when I first setup my domain.
    You did'nt say, Is that the only computer you are connecting? or is that just the odd one computer that won't connect?

For me I fixed this by setting up DNS myself. (I previously used the wizard but apparently in wk2 and wk3 it is a bit dodgey and can muck things up)

5. Speakersrock

Speakersrock

Ima not on it to look, but I think he means within Contol Panel > Administrive tools > DNS?

6. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

yes i guessed that...but there are a lot of options and settings when it comes to DNS...
    there are zones and i cant find where i would point DNS to my router...and which router?
    i have the wireless modem...and a netgear wireless router...i guess the modem hey?

7. Speakersrock

Speakersrock

ohh lol!...my bad!
    I am not 100% sure, but I would say router best bet!!?

To setup the DNS to point to the router, In the DNS MMC thing, configure the forwarders to point to the router ip, rather then the local server or whatever.

If you don't know how to configure the DNS forwarders and stuff, shout back and I'll explain.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648023

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice