1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Quick freeze or FPS drop during gaming

Discussion in 'Games' started by Jafran, Jan 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jafran

Jafran Thread Starter

I've browsed a bit to try and see if this was already an answered issue. I've found similar topics but nothing quite exactly the same, and the fixes employed have not worked (or are non applicable) to my situation.

I'd like to start with saying that my knowledge is best described as inconsistent and sporadic. I usually have several friends (or even myself) eventually find a fix through trial, & error or google. I'm aware you'll likely be asking for my information about my computer (I've seen people posting a file named DxDiag). Please specify exactly how I can acquire those pieces of information (if you don't I'll assume it's easy googled and will look for it that way).

Now for the problem. This has happened to me on several occasions over the last years. It happened on separate computers as well. The first time it happened, turns out that having a xbox controller plugged into the computer was what was causing the problem. This time I couldn't find any reason what it's happening.

Every once in awhile (I can't be certain if the pattern is consistent. It feels like it's every 4-7 minutes, but it could be more sporadic than this), The computer just freezes for something that feels as long as 0.3 to 1 seconds. It could be actual freeze or just a radical drop of fps (I wouldn't know how to tell the difference). I know my current computer is a top of the line gaming system (the man who sold it to me owns a shop, is a gaming friend of mine whom seems top of the line (at least to me) in his knowledge of computers parts and always builds himself and me amazing machines every once in a while, so I doubt it's a compatibility issue. Unfortunately he has no idea what the problem could be.

The issue presents itself on any game I play. I haven't noticed if it happens anywhere else. I feel like it doesn't happen when watching movies or clips.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    We know nothing about your computer, so please do the following in it:

Download and save the TSG System Information Utility (SysInfo.exe) file.
    After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.
    Information about your computer will appear.
    Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE text here.

----------------------------------------------------------------

3. Jafran

Jafran Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20191130064542.000000-300
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 13, CPU Count: 8
    Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630, 1024 MB
    Hard Drives: C: 465 GB (415 GB Free); D: 1862 GB (1735 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME Z370-P II, ver Rev X.0x, s/n 181140090200496
    System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n System Serial Number
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    cpu.JPG

gpu.JPG

I'm not a hardware/gaming expert, but it's my guess your gaming quality issues is being caused by your computer having integrated graphics instead of a dedicated graphics card.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

5. Jafran

Jafran Thread Starter

Hm, I guess that could be something to watch out for. However my friend with the same computer doesn't have this issue, it's unlikely it's related to the actual hardware. However I wouldn't want to impose, this does feel like a witch hunt.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Regardless of how well your friend's computer is running, yours needs a dedicated graphics card.
    I'm pretty sure most of the gamers here will agree with me.

---------------------------------------------------------------

7. SAMF2000

SAMF2000

Yes.. The ONBOARD Graphics might be good enough for browsing Web , Youtube etc...but for Gaming your gonna need a Dedicated Card . If your shorty on funds the RX 570 Is a good choice for around $150

8. Jafran

Jafran Thread Starter

Ah, I see, there seems to have been some confusion. But perhaps this would explain my issues. I have a graphic card, I have the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080. However, for some reason, my Display 1 is using the integrated graphics card, while my Display 2 and 3 aren't (those are using the GeForce one). I have no idea why this is. How do make it so all displays use the proper card?

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Jafran:

If I understand correctly what you said in post #8, your gaming computer has 3 monitors connected to it?

If that's correct, how exactly are all 3 of them connected to the GeForce RTX 2080 graphics card?

---------------------------------------------------------------

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1238429

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice