Quick Hard Disk Question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Infernus

I currently have the following HD setup on my pc:

Primary Master: (C: ) 60GB / operating system / data
Primary Slave: (D: ) 300GB / data

If i was to re-install the operating system on drive (C: ), would it affect anything on drive (D: )?

Also, if i took out drive (D: ) from my pc and put it onto the primary slave of another pc would all my data still be accesable on the new pc?

Thanks.

Infernus said:
I currently have the following HD setup on my pc:

Primary Master: (C: ) 60GB / operating system / data
Primary Slave: (D: ) 300GB / data

If i was to re-install the operating system on drive (C: ), would it affect anything on drive (D: )?

Also, if i took out drive (D: ) from my pc and put it onto the primary slave of another pc would all my data still be accesable on the new pc?

Thanks.
quick answer no, doing things to C drive will not effect D as long as D is just data, and yes your D drive (as slave) data should be vusable from another pc, however if your D drive is ntfs, and the other pc is fat32 I dont think you will see data.

Yes and yes. Accessing the data in another PC will work fine, but if you installed applicatios on it you you won't be able to use the applications.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
brite750 said:
quick answer no, doing things to C drive will not effect D as long as D is just data, and yes your D drive (as slave) data should be vusable from another pc, however if your D drive is ntfs, and the other pc is fat32 I dont think you will see data.
The fact that another drive in the system is running FAT32 has nothing to do with being able to access an NTFS partition. Windows 2000 or XP can have any mix of FAT32 and NTFS disks, and freely access them. It's the operating system limitations that determine the compatibility with NTFS, W98/ME are not compatible with NTFS and would not be able to access that partition.

JohnWill said:
The fact that another drive in the system is running FAT32 has nothing to do with being able to access an NTFS partition. Windows 2000 or XP can have any mix of FAT32 and NTFS disks, and freely access them. It's the operating system limitations that determine the compatibility with NTFS, W98/ME are not compatible with NTFS and would not be able to access that partition.
yes if the other pc is fat32 for the os drive, C drive (win9x/me) then you can not read a slaved ntfs formatted drive, although I thought there was some program that would allow this, not sure about it though.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You can pick up the read-only NTFS driver for W98 or DOS from www.sysinternals.com

My point was that the fact that there are drives formatted FAT32 is not the determining factor, but rather the version of Windows that is actually running when you attempt to access the partitions.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online