Quick Hard Drive Question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Infernus

Say i have a computer with 2 SATA hard drives where one of these has a copy of windows xp installed on it. Now, if I connect an IDE hard disk to this computer which also has a copy of windows xp installed on it, will i be able to access the data on this IDE drive or will the computer just fail to start?

Thanks

You can have both sata and IDE drives on your machine. As long as you format them with an XP accepted filesystem(NTFS) you'll be fine. Just make sure to configure your jumpers and BOOT.INI settings if you need to dual boot or something.
Hope this answers your question!

Actually you need to check the bios to find out if its set to IDE boot first or SATA if you put in the IDE and it tries to boot that first you may have problems.

Other than that the drives should read across interfaces just fine.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I have three SATA equipped systems here, and none of them attempt booting from the IDE if they're configured correctly in the BIOS. I routinely have Windows boot disks in the IDE slots, no problem at all.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online