Quick help with CPU replacement.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

NoSchwag

I was curious what I need to look for in a cpu replacement.

it's a p4 2.2ghz/512/400

It's a 478 pin deal.

What needs to be matched for a replacement??

Can someone maybe push me in the right direction?

If you want to upgrade you will have to see what your motherboard will support.

NoSchwag

so I find out what the max bus speed the motherboard can handle, then match up the pins?

You will need to know the maximum CPU speed it will support and what FSB it will support.
You will need a socket 478 processor.

I feel sure that your board would PROBABLY support that processor but you should verify it with DELL.

DELL uses modified INTEL motherboards. The processor they will or will not support is determined by the revision number. I just chose an INTEL motherboard at random and the processors it will support which you can see by clicking on this link;

http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/sr/sr_proc.htm

If you will note on that chart this particular board will support a P4 3.06gHZ. processor but to support a Celeron D 3.06 Ghz. with a 533FSB it has to have a certain revision number.

Since DELL doesn't tell you the revision number just check with them to make sure your board will support the processor before you order it.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I'll also point out that the difference between the P4 at 2.2ghz and the one at 3.06ghz will not be all that significant for most tasks. It's probably not worth the investment, I'd save for a real system upgrade.

I think you are absolutely correct John and I believe he would probably achieve better results from increasing the memory on his board if it will support an upgrade.

NoSchwag

I also agree..

The thing is it's someone else's machine and all they want is for it to work again.

Basically they're telling me "whatever you need to do. :(

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Are you saying you think the processor is bad? They're pretty robust, it's actually pretty hard to kill them. If the machine isn't running, I'd suspect a a bunch of other stuff before the processor.

NoSchwag

here's what I'm saying..

the computer wasn't starting at all. I saw the power LED blinking faintly. I hooked up a different power supply and the light blinked 100%'s brighter.

I tried to start the computer and it started for a second and shutdown.

I removed the processor, pressed the power button and the computer stayed on.

I assume that it was the processor. Is this not a safe assumption?

I am willing to bet it is the Motheroard or BIOS settings and not the processor. Processors rarely die (in ten years I personally have seen two) and if they do it due to a heat issue (the chip will commonly actually have bubbleing in the underside where the pins are) physical damage (removing them incorrectly and breaking a corner or a pin off) or shorting (not grounding yourself to the system case before touching, and leaving the power cord in)

Does your fan spin on the heatsinc attached to the CPU?
Is the new power supply the same voltages as the old one?
Is the CMOS battery (in the mobo) good (replacing this may even get you to boot)

I would seriously look at different options beofre purchasing a CPU, you will more than likely find the CPU isnt the problem.

um yes, have you tried these?

Does your fan spin on the heatsinc attached to the CPU?
Is the new power supply the same voltages as the old one?
Is the CMOS battery (in the mobo) good (replacing this may even get you to boot)

Also, can you remove the cpu and place it not another socket 478 motherboard in a working system?

If not, call your local computer shop and ask them if they can "test" the CPU for you.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online