1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Quick Launch Bar

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by garyhunz, Jan 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. garyhunz

garyhunz Thread Starter

This has me baffled!

I use the Quick Launch Bar for my most often used programs and also for my most used Excel Spreadhseets. In the past, I'be been able to drag these links to Excel spreadsheets to the Quick Launch Bar, and the pop-up tooltip will display the Shortcut Name I've applied at the desktop. Recently however, as I've dragged new Excel links onto the Quick Launch Bar, rather than tooltips displaying the shortcut name, it now displays the file type, file uathor, filte title and file size. Older links continue to properly display only the shortcut name under tooltips.

What's wro0ng?

Thanks,

2. BugMaster

BugMaster

Hmmm.... That is baffling. What OS are you using? Here's one thing you can try (If you are using XP) Go to your documents and settings folder, and go to the folder with your user name. Make sure you can see hidden folders. Go to application data, then microsoft, then internet explorer, then quick launch. What is the shortcut called? If it isn't called what you want it to be, rename it. A much faster way of doing this (all OS's) is to right-click the shortcut, and go to rename. Rename it to an appropriate name.

3. Dan O

Dan O

It sounds like to me that the file association has gone changed and Windows is doing the new function. Like BugMaster requested, what version of Windows you are running? Then we can suggestion how to fix it.

4. garyhunz

garyhunz Thread Starter

The machine in questions is running Win2000.

5. Dan O

Dan O

I know the least about Windows 2000 and a easy recovery method. Can you give more details about the links in Excel that you drag to the Quick Launch menu? For example, how do you create them and maybe post a sample. Then I will try to recreate the situation and see how to correct it.

6. garyhunz

garyhunz Thread Starter

Win2000 is a deep mystery to me.

Anyway, I create the links by opening Windows Explorer, right clicking on the file name and choosing "create shortcut. Once the shortcut is on the desktop, I drag it onto the Quick Launch bar. The shortcut launches just fine. The problem, as previsously discussed, is that the shortcut name I assign doesn't appear on the launchbar tooltips. Instead, all the exteraneous information discussed below appears.

Thanks for your help!

7. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Are the new links that you create actually shown on the taskbar, or do you have to click on the two little << to be able to see them. The reason I ask this is that on my computer, the ones that are visible will display the tool tip with the name and the ones that I have to click for display the location information in tool tips.

Also, you don't have to create a shortcut to the desktop and then drag it to the quick launch bar. You can just drag from Explorer directly onto the bar and it will create the shortcut.

8. garyhunz

garyhunz Thread Starter

The links in question (links displaying fully detailed information in tooltips-not short to the point name I've assigned) is displayed in the open on the launch bar (not hidden behind the expand selection >> arrows).

I know that links can be added to the quick launch bar either by dragging them from the desktop or by dragging them from the Explorer File Listing. In fact, for the links in question, I've tried both ways with no difference in the tooltip display of Detailed information.

When I rightclick on the links in question on the Quick Launch Bar and choose rename, the rename box displays the short name I've assigned to the link. However, tooltips continues to display all the extraneous information as well.

Ah, the frustrations of Windows.

9. Dan O

Dan O

If you could post all the details we could try to reproduce the problem and see how to solve it.

e.g. short name, long name, and any other details listed in Properties for the shortcut.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63863

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice