1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Quick Launch ICONs on the Taskbar

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Talaat, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Talaat

Talaat Thread Starter

Quick launch Icons on the taskbar keep disappearing each time I start my PC/OP, and the problem in the option “show quick launch” in the taskbar properties that keeps un-checking it self, in another word the system is not saving the ticked box in the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties.

Can you help please.

Talaat

2. mike5532g

mike5532g

Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT. Navigate to:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]

In the right-pane, change the value of Userinit to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,"

Type the above value exactly as given, including the comma - exclude the quotes. Also, change the path to userinit.exe appropriately, if Windows is installed in a different drive.

Close Registry Editor and restart Windows. The Quick Launch settings should be retained now.

3. Talaat

Talaat Thread Starter

Dear mike5532g

Thank you very much for your technical advice.

I have carried out your instruction as directed and found out under: userinit, reading same as quoted in your advice: C:\Window\System32\Userinit.exe, ; I have clicked on Userinit, icon and an edit string pop-up reading under value data same as mentioned; than I closed down the registration in the opinion that what causing the disappearing of Quick Launch each time I reboot my PC is something else.

I have created a second user account to enable me find out whether the new account will be having the same technical problem. I was surprised that the Quick Launch ICONs on the Taskbar are not disappearing and working perfectly.

Since I am a novice/beginner in these matters, I am wondering if you could kindly help further in finding a solution to enable me restore Quick Launch in my old user account.

Thank you and kinds regard.

Talaat
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4. Talaat

Talaat Thread Starter

Thanks

5. mike5532g

mike5532g

Just to clarify, the value should look exactly like this

C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,

and try spelling system32 with a small s.

See if that makes a difference.

6. Talaat

Talaat Thread Starter

Dear mike5532g

Thank you for your immediate respond. I regret to inform you that it did not work, and still as is.

Please advice.

Thank you.

Talaat

7. mike5532g

mike5532g

Give this a try:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

#54 right side..."save settings on exit".

To use the Regedits: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

You might also try locking the taskbar. :)

8. Talaat

Talaat Thread Starter

Dear mike5532g

I went to the link/website and download item 54 and saved in the hard disk (on the desktop), I regret to inform that after I doubled clicked on it as directed and rebooted the PC the problem is still the same and was not solved.

However, a friend of mine who is a senior IT manger with Dell visited me this evening and told him about this issue. He checked the local setting for the current account user using the following path:

HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\WindowNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogin

He did not find the path to USERINIT.EXE.

So he did create a string path where he inserts the USERINIT to:

C:\Windows\system32\userinit.exe.

Saved the new registry than restarted the system, in doing that apparently it has solved the problem and now that all ICONS under Show Quick Launch start to appear on the taskbar each time I reboot or start my PC.

I hope that the above information is useful to someone who might has the same issue.

Thank you and regard.

Talaat :)

9. bobol

bobol

Thank you for the reported detailed solution, you ended up teaching us something :D [pointed along the right path by Mike :rolleyes: ]

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274866

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice