1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Quick Launch keeps disappearing!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tom.stevenson, Sep 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tom.stevenson

tom.stevenson Thread Starter

I don't know whether my Windows XP is forgetting to save settings on exit, but the Quick Launch has stopped appearing automatically on boot up. I right-click on the taskbar and everything in Toolbar at top of the menu is greyed out. I click on properties and discover that "Show Quick Launch" is unchecked, even though I checked it last time. So I check it again, then click Apply and Okay. The Quick Launch items reappear, but they are aphabetically ordered, which is not in the order I left them. This happens every time. Any ideas?

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

After setting the quick launch toolbar do you lock the toolbar before rebooting?

3. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Start > Settings > Taskbar and Start Menu

Is "Show Quicklaunch" selected?

The toolbar shouldn't need to be locked for QL to stay around.

4. Claymore

Claymore

Hi,

Try this:

Copy the text below between the dotted lines, but not the dotted lines themselves. Open Notepad and paste it in. Save the result in a suitable location as toolbars.reg - making sure that the default .txt extension doesn't appear in the file name.
    Double-click on the saved .reg file to merge the contents.
    Restart.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "NoToolbarCustomize"=dword:00000000
    "NoBandCustomize"=dword:00000000

"NoToolbarsOnTaskbar"=dword:00000000

"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

"NoActiveDesktop"=dword:00000000

"ClassicShell"=dword:00000000

----------------------------------------------------------------

I notice (as usual) there is a space showing in the middle of "Explorer" (4 instances). There should be no space when you copy it.

5. WhitPhil

Try wrapping the REG file in "code"

In the Advanced reply, it's the # sign icon

6. tom.stevenson

After setting the quick launch toolbar do you lock the toolbar before rebooting?
    Yes and no: done both. Still disappears.

7. tom.stevenson

Is "Show Quicklaunch" selected?
    As I wrote ["Show Quick Launch" is unchecked, even though I checked it last time. So I check it again, then click Apply and Okay. The Quick Launch items reappears] ... It appears when I check it, but it always disappears the next time I boot up.

8. tom.stevenson

I did exactly as Claymore suggested, but when I double-clicked on it, the file merely opened in notebook (and to reiterate, I made sure that the default .txt extension did not appear in the file name. I then WhitPhil's suggestion or at least I did what I think he suggested, renaming "toolbars.reg" as "#toolbars.reg#", but double clicking merely brought up the "Windows cannot open the file" dialogue box. Sorry if I did not understand Whitphil's suggestion, but I took it at face value.

9. WhitPhil

Tom:
    My "code" suggestion was a way to try and get the REG file in a post without the space appearing.

From Explorer, do you have the option "Hide Extensions of known file types" UNselected. If not, UNselect this option. This will allow you to see all file extensions.

I expect when you look at the file you saved, it will be called toolbars.reg.txt.

Resave the file from Notepad, except this time change the Save As type to be "all files". If this still reads TXT files, it takes the name that you provide and adds .TXT

10. tom.stevenson

Having been brought up on DOS, I always have extentensions showing, not hidden. Whether the file is named toolbars.reg or toolbars.txt, it always opens in Notebook, and never merges with the registry. I know I sound thick, but I'm following exactly what you say.

11. WhitPhil

NP. Just checking. Actually, having a REG file set up to open in Notepad is a good safety mechanism to stop accidental imports.

If you select the file, right mouse, is there an INSTALL option? If so, select it.

If not, do Start > Run > Regedit
    Then, File, Import
    and browse to where your REG file resides.

12. tom.stevenson

Successfully imported as per your instructions, thanks, but the Quick Launch still disappears.

13. Soundchick

Soundchick

Have you done a spyware scan?

14. tom.stevenson

Yes, I regularly scan comprehensively for spyware and viruses, and occasionally find both despite supposed dynamic protection courtesy of Norton 2006.

15. WhitPhil

It has been pointed out to me that the REG file deals with HKCU but not HKLM.

Select the REG file, right mouse, edit
    Change the 5 references of HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

Save the file (ensuring again it is All Files and not TXT)

Then, redo the import of the file.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/498924