1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Quick launch

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by jeaux, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jeaux

jeaux Thread Starter

My quick launch bar now shows the icon and the description of the shortcut. For instance I have the E and then "Launch Internet Explorer". In the past I had just the icon, and I would like to return to that. The only thing major that has happened has been the installation of QuickBooks Simple Start 2008. I did not noticed the change until the next day, so I do not know if they are related. If no one has expirienced this before, where in the registry do I find the keys for the quick launch properties?

Many thanx in advance,

Joe

2. Jacee

Jacee

Do you want to move program/applications into quick launch or out of it?

3. jeaux

jeaux Thread Starter

I know how to insert and delete items from quick launch. The problem is how the shortcuts are displayed. In the past each shortcut was represented only by its icon. Now it displays the icon and the title of the shortcut i.e. blue E and "Launch internet Explorer". So instead of having little 1/4" icons down there, I have the typical 1 1/2" taskbar button. I can still reach my other shortcuts via the double arrows, but it's not aesthetically pleasing, and I'm anal about changes to my display.

Joe

4. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

I believe this may be your problem.
    Unlock the taskbar.
    Right click in the Taskbar.
    Untick "Show text"

5. jeaux

jeaux Thread Starter

Boy, that sounded like a winner if I ever heard one, but "show text" is not available. I saw in your public profile "Lucky to get on the Vista Beta program, so am now inclined to devote most time to the Vista OS. (Now my main OS)".

I'm running Vista. So far, so good.

But after right clicking the TB, my options are:
    1. lock the TB
    2. Auto-hide
    3. keep the TB on top of other windows.
    4. group similar TB buttons.
    5. show quick launch.
    the sixth item is grayed out, because Aero is not included in "Home Basic".

Perhaps a better description of the path to the "show text" radio button , or check box would resolve my confusion.

thanx for your time,

Joe

6. jeaux

jeaux Thread Starter

After playing with it for a while I was able to get the proper menu to come up.

The check is in the mail.

Many thanx,

Joe

Edited: for others, you need to have your pointer between the start button and quick launch, or between quick launch and the task bar. If you just right click on the task bar you'll end up with the wrong menu.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650761

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice