1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Quick Q re partitoning a large drive...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Solnyshko, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Solnyshko

Solnyshko Thread Starter

finally got Windows to see my drive, now installing OS (happy days)

just wanted to poll opinion on whether it's worth partitioning a large (500GB) drive and installing the OS on smaller slice?

my understanding is that the current consensus view is doing this actually only slows things down as performance on modern 16MB cached drives is pretty good as is...

Thanks

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

I think that you should have your programs and OS in the same partition and put storage (My Documents) on another to make defrags go faster and just not to clutter the OS partition.

That way, if you image your OS partition, you also have a backup of all your programs.

I make an exception to that for my very large programs, like Encarta. I created a Program Files folder on the storage partition and installed it there, again so as not to clutter the OS partition.

3. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

I create at least two partitions on my harddrives so if one OS crashes, I can use the other OS to view the hdd and fix some problems. One of my computers has five partitions (5 is the max) with different operating systems and I haven't noticed any problems yet.

4. Solnyshko

Solnyshko Thread Starter

yeah it's just that I've done this in the past and things have become inordinately fiddly.

I'm thinking logically streamlined folder structures are as good as breaking a physical drive into virtual drives. regular defragging should see to the rest, no?

Also as I'm lazy I intend to (re)install programs to their default place of residence on the same drive as the OS (ie C: ) - What sort of size is an efficient/practical compromise for windows + progs in your learned opinion - if i were to partition?

it's a Samsung Spinpoint T series HD501J btw

5. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

Seeing as you have 500 to work with I'd use 20-25GB for the OS + Progs. But it depends on what kind of programs you use. High end games and graphic design use a lot of space.
    If this is the case I'd bump it up a bit more, 25-30GB.

6. Solnyshko

Solnyshko Thread Starter

damn it - I'll give her 100GB and be done with it :)

7. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

Sounds good. It's a lot but you can afford the space, besides you never know what you might throw into your operating system partition.

8. Solnyshko

Solnyshko Thread Starter

- one further question - do I need to partition the remaining space (376939MB) which currently appears in the Windows installation page as 'Unpartitioned' or will Windows automatically assign this space as 'D' drive??

Basically will windows see the remainder as usable?

9. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

You can do it later with the Windows Disk Managment Utility. Leave it for now.

10. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

Post back with any more questions. Have fun with your 30-40 min windows installation.

Cya l8r Sunshine!

Tvoy droog,

Chauncey

11. Solnyshko

Solnyshko Thread Starter

Ok decided to give the OS a generous 100GB

So I could do it once installation is complete via disk management - or it sleeker to assign the remainder now from the windows setup end (ie less wastage)?

just tried it and it's showing:

476938 MB Disk 0 Id 0 on bus 0 on si3114r [MBR]

C: Partition1 [New (Raw)] 99998 MB (99998 MB free)
    D: Partition2 [New (Raw)] 376931 MB (376931 MB free)
    Unpartitioned space 8 MB

OK to push ahead with that - or better to wait until installation is complete?

(btw your Russian is evidently better than mine ;) )

12. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

From the looks of your partition table it seems you have only asigned 10GB to what I assume will be your OS partition. But seeing as you mentioned earlier that you have a 500GB HDD I guess it must just be a typo. You can proceed with that and format partition C: as you install windows. Just wait on partition D: as the install program will only format the partition you will be installing windows on. You won't lose any space by formatting D: from Disk Managment.

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

Looks fine to me. 99 MB's for the OS and programs and the rest for later. You're wise to give the OS plenty since we see people trying to figure out how to expand that partition all the time.

14. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

My mistake. 99GB. I saw the shift in places and since I can only count to two (1 or 0)....

15. Elvandil

Elvandil

Mine, too. I meant "GB's".

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644774

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice