1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

quick question about dual ddr on a mobo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by billyciam, Jan 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. billyciam

billyciam Thread Starter

ok for me to get this double bandwith speed do i need to buy two identical sticks of memory or does it matter??

2. billyciam

billyciam Thread Starter

ok just read alittle more....does it have to be dual channel memory??

3. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

You need matched/identically packaged "twin" sticks. Get the low latency. Corsair, OCZ brands are great. Usually the sticks go in the 1st and 3rd slots. Your mobo manual will tell you. Make sure the "twin" sticks are compatible with your mobo!!!!

4. billyciam

billyciam Thread Starter

i looked at those brands ...so i do have to get the twin packs...damn those are expensive lol but thanks man

5. atconc

atconc

It depends if your talking about double data rate(DDR) or dual channel, they're two different things. You won't get any benefit from the matched sticks if your mobo doesn't have a dual channel controller

6. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

billyciam:

atconc IS correct. If you are talking about DDR(double data rate), then NO. A single stick or a pair(same brand-preferably) of mobo compatible RAM will work. If it's Dual Channel then you need the "twin" sticks for the Dual Channel to work properly. You CAN use DDR memory in DC setup but not run at DC speed. Although the DC appears to only run 5-8% faster than "single" ram, there are larger benefits when multitasking or using ram intensive software like Adobe, etc. We were building some Dual Channel systems and it didn't even enter my mind your question might be about the difference between SDR, DDR, DDR Dual Channel memory. Sorry about that. Matched sticks DO actually perform slightly better in a non Dual Channel setup, but depending on cost may NOT be feasible.

7. billyciam

billyciam Thread Starter

thanks...very helpful

8. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

No! The sticks have to be the same amount of memory, but they do not have to be matched! They can be from different manufactuers and even different speeds. It all depends on what you have the memory settings set as in the bios, and if the mem's compatable with the board.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BUY EXPENSIVE MATCHED DDR DUAL MEMORY SETS!

9. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

Not going to waste my time arguing with you gotrootdude. This has been discussed in previous threads and all over the Internet and the statement you made is not one that system builders would stand behind.

10. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

I'll argue the point to the internet and system builders with proof! I've mixed memory in dual channel config with no problems as long as I set the memory settings correctly.

I will admit that it's best to stick with one brand, but then again the problems people have with mixed sets is in the settings, not normally in the memory.

If you buy two seperate sticks of the same type of memory, you'll most likely have no problems, even if they aren't packaged together! The dual packaging is a marketing ploy.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/193054

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice