1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Quick Question about Notebook Ram

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by darkmikey, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. darkmikey

darkmikey Thread Starter

Hey,

I want to upgrade my laptops ram (it only has 512mb at the moment) and have a few questions.

Is A-Data a good brand for laptop ram?

Should I upgrade to 1024mb (1gb) or 1536mb (1.5gb)?

I mainly use the laptop for internet, dvds & music, web design (I have a testing server running on it), making flash animations and the occasional game of morrowind or similar. Also the graphics memory is shared up to 128mb (is it possible to increase this maximum?)

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Depends what OS you are using.

3. darkmikey

darkmikey Thread Starter

xp pro

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

512 is probably optimal for XP under normal circumstances. Since you have 128 shared, going to 1 GB may show some slight improvement, but going any higher than that is not likely to have any noticeable results.

The amount of shared video memory is usually set in the system BIOS setup. Probably, 128 is the max, but that depends. There are probably 2 settings, one for amount shared and another called "Aperture Size" that is really the amount of RAM set aside for texture memory. That is usually set to 64 but 128 is all right if you have 1 GB of memory. Going to 256 is again not likely to have any noticeable results.

5. darkmikey

darkmikey Thread Starter

So it wouldn't be worth an extra $25 to go to 1.5gb instead of 1gb? Is there any advantage in having one stick of 1gb vs 2x 512mb ?

6. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I haven seen any laptops that support dual-channel memory; but, that isn't at all to say they don't exist. I don't know everything there is to know; but, if your laptop supports dual-channel memory, there is an advantage to using two 512s instead of a single 1-Gig chip. If your laptop does not support dual-channel, it doesn't matter whether you use a single memory chip or two matching ones.

Desktop or laptop, there is speed to be gained by using matching memory chips in dual-channel slots.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

If it's only $25, then why not? You might want to use VMWare or some other virtual machine some day to have 2 OS's running on your machine at the same time and the extra could be put to use.

2x512 or 1x1024 is no different.

8. darkmikey

darkmikey Thread Starter

Yeah I use virtual box, but I'm probably more likely to use my desktop for that sort of thing. Thanks for your help I may as well pay the extra $25

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647504

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice