1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

quick question about upgrading to windows 7/licence

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by youngb11, Nov 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. youngb11

youngb11 Thread Starter

I currently have a Compaq laptop that came with Windows Vista home premium. I have a small problem as it never came with recovery disks, so I made some and lost them(n)

I am planning on upgrading to Windows 7 Home premium buy purchasing an upgrade licence online. I have a couple of questions, if I chose the upgrade option during installation, would ALL my setting and files remain the same and unchanged?

The reason I'm asking is because, the few times I've reformatted, I've just used the recovery tool that came with the computer, that I made the recovery disks from. Since I've lost the disk, I just clicked onthe recovery option and followed instructions to recover it to factory state.

If I were to purchase Windows 7 and use the upgrade option, and I wanted to go back to the compaq factory setting (back to Windows Vista home), is there anyway to do it as I lost the recovery disks? Would the recovery options still be there since I used the upgrade option during Windows 7 upgrade?

Also last question, I've never downloaded operatings systems online, so when I go to purchase windows 7 download from microsoft, is it possible to make a disk out of it incase I need to reformat at a later date?

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Yes if you choose the correct options

It is always a good idea to back up important data before upgrading, just in case.

The upgrade license aggrement states that once the PC is upgraded, previous OS installation license is voided, thats why an upgrade license is so much cheaper than full version. So legally you cannot revert back to Vista.

If the download is an ISO file, then yes, just burn the file as an image to a DVD using one of these free softwares. You will need to do this anyway if it is an ISO download, to install W7

http://cdburnerxp.se/

http://www.imgburn.com/

Once W7 is installed that factory restore option will no longer work, no way to go back using it.

Run the upgrade advisor in Vista, to reveal any potential upgrade issues.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Upgrade+to+Windows+7+from+Vista&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g10

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-vista-to-windows-7

You will need a minimum of 1gb memory for W7 to run well, 2gb for it to run very well.

3. youngb11

youngb11 Thread Starter

Thanks for your help!

So even if I find my old recovery disks and use it, it wouldn't work after I upgraded to Windows 7?

Last question, you said if it's an ISO file. Do you know what file type it comes as when you download from microsoft.com?

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

It is a legal question, you probably can but to do so is illegal.

I am told is is an ISO file, but I have not verified this. I buy my software from a retailer, its the same price and you get a disc.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Ridiculous. If you upgrade to Windows 7 there should be an uninstall in Programs and Features to retiurn to Vista which is perfectly OK to do. What you cannot do is be on both OS at once is all on 2 different pc's.

6. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Rich-M

I don't make the laws, I just follow them. I think it is a grey area about reverting back to Vista after the upgrade, I am no law person. You are correct, you cannot run both OSs using an upgrade license.

In my world there would be no money and everything would be free, a 30 hour work week to contribute to the system of Free!

Then I woke up, darn...

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

You can be one at a time really, not to worry! I'm with you on the rest of the thoughts!

8. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

You can legally go back to Vista if you want, it is not illegal. The upgrade license is, in effect one license to use either Vista or Windows 7. You can use either Vista or Windows 7, or switch back and forth if you want (and have that kind of time).

As a side note, I have done both, done an in-place upgrade Vista laptop to Windows 7, and did a full upgrade from scratch. Both worked perfectly. Incidentally, the Toshiba, which I upgraded from a wipe, did not require any additional drivers; all were on the Windows 7 disk.

By the way, Windows 7 includes the capability of imaging your drive (using the Backup software on all versions of Windows 7). I've been told that this capability also exists in Vista, but I don't know where (probably in the backup software).

Courtney

9. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

10. youngb11

youngb11 Thread Starter

So even after doing a complete upgrade with a full reformat, I will still be able to go back to Windows Vista (if I can find the recovery disks that is) okay?

Is there any options for going back to Vista without the recovery disks as I'm wondering how all of the drivers will be there if I do a full swipe + install of Windows 7.

11. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

See Byteman's reply. That's how you'd do it without the recovery disks. At least that's how I'd do it.

12. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

This version of Vista will not make the Complete backup...only these will

Windows Vista Business, Ultimate, and Enterprise

13. youngb11

youngb11 Thread Starter

Darn, so that means I wont be able to go back to Windows Vista with the factory settings after I've upgraded to Windows 7?

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You probably won't want to. :) If you do, you can probably buy Recovery disks from HP for considerably less than an arm and a leg.

15. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

If you do the upgrade, and not the custom install, then you can revert back to Vista if the windows.old folder is intact.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971760

Not like the factory restore, but will get you back to Vista if all goes well during the revert process.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!