Quick question does router slow down the net

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Tinsoilder

Me and my dad want to share the internet its is already quite slow on his computer (win2000pro 200mhz) but fast on my we have dsl bell symaptico in ontario
If we get a router will it slow down the internet on my dads computer?
If it does is it only a little?

Visit www.dslreports.com and check out the dsl tools. Run the speed tests (works for all internet connections...not just dsl). If you and your father get a router you'll have to share that speed. Most likely since you're on dsl your speed will be pretty high so I don't think you or your father will notice a drop in speed (unless you do a lot of downloading but you should still have plenty of speed each).

bassetman

Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten
The router itself, shouldn't. If you are sharing a slow dialup as Mithrilhall suggests you will be splitting that speed if on at the same time.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I haven't noticed any difference. When I first got the cable and the router, I did some tests, and if there's a slowdown, it's not significant enough to see for me. :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!