1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

quick question

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pons, Oct 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pons

pons Thread Starter

Hi, I hope I'm in the right forum. Here is my problem/question.

I recently upgraded to XP profesional, and everything worked OK, so I started loading programs and games that I used on win98se. All is working well, the ones that could be run in XP, that is.
    I've tried to load and play Red Baron 3D, and because the game is outdated -I think- it doesn't run well. I fixed the grafics by installing a Glide wraper, I fixed the sound with a patch I found, but the computer is too fast for the game, and it is very difficult to fly. Everything hapens a tad too fast.

My question is Is there a way to "slow" down the computer to a level compatible with the game?
    Runing it on compatibility mode doesn't help. What I had in mind is a program like the old "slomo" if you remember...

My specs: win XPPro 256RAM P4 2.4G GeForce4 MX 128MB

directX 90b latest drivers for my Nvidia card

Thank you in advance
    sebastian pons

2. TheDJK

TheDJK

Does n-e-1 know if changing Compatibility Mode would help here?

3. TheDJK

TheDJK

I know... It's a long-shot. I could be WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY off.
    :D

4. Ronnie151

Ronnie151

lots of win 98 games just wont ever work right with xp

5. pons

pons Thread Starter

Hi all , compatibility doesn't afect the way it plays, and Red Baron is suposed to be able to played by WinXP, after tweeking a bit.

It plays fine except that the action is a bit too fast...

sebastian pons

6. kenneth2k1

kenneth2k1

What do you mean by "action?" If things are happening too fast, you will just have to get better at the game :D

Just kidding. Is the steering too fast? If so, you can turn the joystick/mouse sensitivity down in the game options (maybe).

7. pons

pons Thread Starter

Hi Kennet2k1, it is not so.
    The way things are is those biplanes are zooming at speeds well above the intended, and with an agility abnormal. The AI don't have a problem dealing with the incresed speed, but for a human player it is imposible to follow.
    If it was a jet sim, it would still be difficult because we're talking of "kill distances" in the order of tens of meters...

That is what I meant by speed of the action. Well, are there any other solutions besides "mo'slo"? I repeat that the problem is NOT the frame rates, but the speed of movement.

Thank you all
    sebastian pons

8. PlatinumDrag

PlatinumDrag

Ever thought of letting off the throttle? I mean i have old games that work just fine, never ran into one that sounds like that.

I do use BF1942 and the planes there are just crazy your either to fast and miss things or to slow and crashing, yet the jets they made seem to run smooth.

In short if you cant adjust to the old game, its time to get a new one, and i would recommend iL-2 Sturmovik or the new release iL-2 Forgotten Battles. You have over 80 planes to fly from bi-planes to early and late WWII to some of the first jets of the wars.

P.S. It blows CFS 1, 2, & 3 out of the water by far so save your money on them.

9. prowler351

prowler351

http://www.the-underdogs.org/faq2.php#d4

go to that sight and read and follow the links in the paragraph about 1/4 the way down on the page called "The game runs way too fast! How can I slow it down?" i know this is an old post,but i just noticed it.one of those programs will help you out,jus try em :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171904

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice