Quick RAM Question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Capnbob

Howdy,

Yesterday I bought myself a new Gateway GT5028 ( http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/5876/5876sp3.shtml ) and I'm wondering if the RAM from my old computer is compatible with my new computer.

Apparently my computer is currently using "1024 MB 533 MHz (PC4200) DDR2 memory (two 512 MB modules)"

The other two 512 MB ram chips I have are made by Elixir and Spectek.

I found the the model of the Elixir ram on Elixirs website and here's the links to my specific ram that I have from my old computer:

http://www.elixir-memory.com/products/file/Elixir-DDR1 256Mb Die B Draco UDIMM-R2.2.pdf

and this Spectek ram I can't find any documentation on. Their site is terrible. From the ram itself I can gather this much: 512 MB PC2700 DDR PC33 and it's obviously the same pin-format as the elixir.

So, my question is, can my new computer accept this ram in addition to the ram it came with?

Thanks,

Bobby

bassetman

Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten
It's advisable to get the same memory types when adding more.

In this specific case, your new computer appears to use DDR2, while the older computer uses DDR memory. They are two incompatible standards and unfortunately you can't use the older RAM in the newer computer.

bassetman

Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten
Nevarre said:
In this specific case, your new computer appears to use DDR2, while the older computer uses DDR memory. They are two incompatible standards and unfortunately you can't use the older RAM in the newer computer.
Welcome to TSG Nevarre! :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online