1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Quick SCSI question - HELP!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sticker, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sticker

sticker Thread Starter

Hey there,

I bought the following rig from a very reputable self-builder here in Ireland:

Intel [email protected]
    Tuniq tower cooled
    EVGA nForce 680i mobo
    Corsair 2 gig DDR2 XMS2 Dominator
    2x POV 8800gtx
    2x scsi320 147gig 15k rpm hdds raid0 + PCI-E SCSI RAID CARD
    320gig sata2
    Nec 5170 Dvdrw
    XFI Fatality Fps
    PC P+C 750 Silencer Quad
    24" Dell 2407WFP
    Creative 7900 7.1 system
    CM Stacker

He was up a week ago to do a few bits (he's abroad now for three weeks and unreachable)

Anyway, after an unsucessful attempt at installing a IDE drive bay (not enough power cables on the motherboard) - and a bit of tinkering inside the case, the bios showed the following error at startup :

1 LOGICAL DRIVE(S) found on the host adapter
    1 LOGICAL DRIVE(S) FAILED -
    1 LOGICAL DRIVE(S) handled by BIOS

He said it was a lose cable so he tweaked something at the scsi drives and it worked. So I'm convinced it's not a corrupted drive...

The same issue has arisen again - I'm lost looking into the thing and need a little help - the rig has two HD's and a DVD drive - I've opened it up and tried to mildly fiddle with the cables into said drives... same error message on bios.

If one drive is being recognised, can I just unplug one (to find the failed one) and hope to god the working one is my windows boot...?

I've a dual boot on the system - XP/Vista.

'My Computer' read three drives - XP / Vista/ and another called storage - however I don't know how the partition works (builder set it up) - if the two OS's are on one scsi and the stroage is on the other!

Could I just remove the cable and power lead to the back of one scsi and boot the rig up?

Would this damage the rig? ie does the BIOS KNOW there's 2 scsi drives?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You posted that you have your drives in raid0. This means that when a file is written, it is written in parts to both drives; ie you must have both drives to boot the system. If you had a raid1 array, you could boot the system with a failed drive.

The first thing I would do would be to go to the site of your drive mfg. Download their utility for checking the drives [do make sure it is for scsi type drives]

It sounds like you may just have a failed hd.

3. sticker

sticker Thread Starter

Considering the issue was resolved by the prigional builder in a few seconds, I hope this is not a failed hd.

Saying that, I'd like to run a diagnostic...

The origional builder gave me a linked list of what each componant was, only problem he has 'equilivant' beside the HDs

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=316373
    http://geek.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=6335758/

Here's the SCSI controller:

http://www.provantage.com/lsi-logic-lsi00008-f~7LSIG03K.htm

If the drive is faulty, is there ANY way to resue data from it? I've a LOT of work - not to mention the first two months of our new baby's life in pictures & video!

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all you never put important data on a raid0 array without a backup. You have twice the chance of failure; two drives that function as one. As an example I run 2 raptor drives in raid0 with a third physical drive that is not part of the array for backups, image backups, etc.

To answer your question. If one drive of a raid0 array fails, you loose everything. Since only half of all files, etc is written to one drive, it is of little use without the other one.
    Depending on how the drive failed, you may be able to take both drives and the controller to a shop that does data recovery however this is not cheap. It depends on how much the data is worth whether or not to attempt this task.

5. sticker

sticker Thread Starter

This was a new rig I bought - I wasn't that familair with the scsi technology - so I assumed seeing as it was a superfast and expensive drive it would be safe!

...lesson learnt!

I've a technician arriving tomorrow morning to have a look...

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

SCSI drives are of higher quality and generally work very well however you may have gotten a defective one.

Safe and raid0 are mutually exclusive terms; as I posted with raid0 you must have a backup plan ie third drive, external drive, backup to server, etc.

7. sticker

sticker Thread Starter

If indeed one drive is faulty, there is a data recovery company local to me - I will ask them if the engineer this morning draws a blank.

Considering I have a scsi controller already, would you recommend another set of scsi drives - or do I just need one to replace the defective one?

Needless to say all important data that may be recovered (or going forward) will be backup up!

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I would just replace the one failed drive. Since the os will need to be reloaded anyway, I would ask why the drives were configured in raid0. Since scsi drives are pretty fast anyway, I would just configure the drives as non-raid. This way you will have two physical drives; you can then use the second drive as backup, for image files, etc.

9. sticker

sticker Thread Starter

It's now confirmed that one drive is faulty -

the guy that inspected the rig has has the facility where he works to resue some of the data from it. He tested them and it appears very probable.

I'm RUNNING away from Raid alright -
    I just ordered a new set of hd's and will install my dual boot again from scratch - then port over the old data.

I honestly don't know why anyone would go with Raid0 - one drive becomes problematic and the whole lot crashes - BIG price to pay for a bit of speed!

...live and learn - thanks for the replies :)

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I run raid0. As long as you have an image backup, it takes only a few min to restore the image. My raid0 array has approx 25gig of info/data. It takes all of 5min or so to restore. If you do have a drive failure, just replace the drive, create the array in the raid bios and restore the image. Back up and running in a total of 15-20min and that includes R&R the failed drive.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!