Quick ? -Updating Win2k to XP...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mudvayne37

Is there a way I can update from Windows 2000 Pro to Windows XP Pro without having to reinstall my programs and backup/reinstall all of my files? Is it safe to just update like this?

No, but W2K is just fine and you really won't gain much. Its not like going from 9x to XP

mudvayne37

Its my girlfriends computer that isnt hooked up to the internet. I am real familiar with Xp and stripping it down to run better and she has wanted me to install it for her for months now. I have Windows XP Pro and it says there is an update function, Does this format before the update?

mudvayne37

So does an update format first?? I still havent got that answer. Thank you for your help.

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
An update keeps your settings and software, and any problems with them.
A replace does a Format.
An add will add it to a second partition, and allow you to boot to either.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online