1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Quickbooks 2001- simple problem

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by laurfar, Oct 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. laurfar

laurfar Thread Starter

I am using win98SE and I have Quickbooks 2001, not the Pro edition. I have a simple question that I think others probably know and I just don't. I use a visa card and when I enter the visa into my QB register, I want to then "split" the amount by who charged me various amounts. So I clicked the button that said "split". I then entered the type of charge, the amount, and then made a memo. As I make the entries, QB deducts the amounts that I am recording from the total amount of the check. Here is my problem the amount I am paying visa has a credit for something I returned. When I get to the end of the "split" there is an amount that doesn't match the check amount, and it won't let me put in a plus amount for the credit $ from a return the previous month. Is there a way on the "split" info that I can put in a positive amount instead of having every amount deducted? I can't be the only person that has run into this problem. Any help out there???? Thanks.

2. JudyB

JudyB

I assume that you're entering the check to pay the credit card - as opposed to a credit card charge. On the check, key in the split with a minus, then you should balance to the total of the check.
    You're entering all the other amounts with no (+or-) sign, and have overstated the amount of the check, so a minus is needed to bring the total of the splits back down to the check total.

Hope I understood you correctly.
    Judy

3. laurfar

laurfar Thread Starter

Thanks for your comment. I discovered I was trying to use the "split" link to list what the visa bill was for, when I should have had an account for that particular Visa Card Account. Once I made an account, then I have been now entering what each Visa charge was for. I just didn't understand what the "split" was for. Still not sure, but at least I am moving forward on what I wanted to record. Thanks so much for your reply on this matter.

4. JudyB

JudyB

OK, it sounds like you've got it as far as the account for a credit card, and entering each charge. Then when you go to pay the credit card statement you just "reconcile" the account.

As far as the splits - this is intended for when you have more than one category to charge something to. For instance (I work with grocery stores) you are billed for product on one invoice that is meat, and deli. You want to charge each to it's own department, so you "split" the expense categories. Or maybe you pay a maintenance fee to your landlord along with the rent. You may want to charge the maint. to maint, and the rent to rent on just one check.

Hope that helps.

5. laurfar

laurfar Thread Starter

That really helps me to have an explaination of the purpose of "split" button. Thanks so much for you time.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!