1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

QuickClean identifies but won't remove these files:

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Cottontop3000, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cottontop3000

Cottontop3000 Thread Starter

Would you also recommend the above if I am running paid McAfee? Also, while I'm talking about McAfee, when I run the QuickClean, which gets rid of unnecessary files, it identifies but won't remove these files:

AUG2005DXREDIST
    DXREDIST
    G4WL
    inst
    Temp1_title_update_7_EN(1).zip
    title_update_7_EN
    Temp1_title_update_7_EN.zip
    title_update_7_EN
    Temp2_title_update_7_EN.zip
    title.update_7_EN
    ISTMP3.DIR
    ISTMP0.DIR

The title update 7 zip files are from the latest patch (1.0.7.0) for Grand Theft Auto IV, but the others I don't know about and I don't know why McAfee QuickClean identifies them but won't remove them when I say okay.

Can you tell me if I should start my own thread about this? Thank you, Kevin.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i have moved your thread to a post of your own

Yes I would keep those two programs with any security suite, norton, avg,mcafee etc

cant answer the other question - need a malware expert to reply - they have a shield icon next to their name

3. Cottontop3000

Bump. Now there are 33 temporary files that Mcafee QuickCLean identifies for removal but won't remove when I tell it to.

Also, weird things are happening. Like:

1. error message "can't find script engine 'VBScript'", when I try to send error reports to Microsoft.
    2. arrow buttons and "end/delete/backspace" buttons working intermittently while typing this reply.
    3. QuickClean running by itself repeatedly.
    4. "Windows Mail" popup message while QuickClean is running (with settings set to clean Windows Mail). The popup mssg. says "Windows Mail can compact the message store. This may take up to a few minutes." I don't even use and never have used Windows Mail, so there should be no messages to compact. It pops up 4 times each time I run Quick Clean, so I changed the setting to not check Windows Mail and it stopped popping up.
    5. When I re-downloaded and re-installed McAfee today, during the installation, I got the error message: "COPY ERROR Setup cannot copy the file button_green.gif Ensure that the location specified below is correct, or change it and insert '(Unknown)' in the drive you specify. Copy file from C:\PROGRA 2\McAfee\Temp\qxz667F At the same time, I get a balloon window on my task bar with a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in it that says: "McInst.exe - Corrupt File The file or dir C:\SMft is corrupt and unreadable, Please run the Chkdsk utility."

I've reinstalled McAfee more than once in the last week trying to get it to work right, and I've never received the above popup or balloon until today.

Other things too.

Help. :)

Kevin.

4. Cottontop3000

Also, when I click on the link in CookieGal's 'Read this First' sticky at the top of this forum for the download of DDS, McAfee SiteAdvisor redirects me to a page with a big red WARNING sign saying 'WARNING: Dangerous Site' and 'WHOA! are you sure you want to go there' and 'did you REALLY mean to come here?' and 'Why were you redirected to this page' and such. The link that Cookiegal has in her sticky post is for "download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/dds.scr".

Does this happen to anyone else with McAfee SiteAdviser?

5. Cottontop3000

I'm still trying to decide whether to download the highjackthis, the dds and the gmer files so that you have what you need to help me.

The reason I'm still trying to decide is that, in addition to what I posted about the DDS in my last post, when I go to the gmer site and click the download EXE button, Mcafee (or what I think of as McAfee, who knows) gives me a popup saying:
    ---------------------------------------------
    McAfee (in red) (normal x in right corner to close popup)

(big white X in a red circle bordered in black) Potentially Dangerous Download Detected!

You are downloading: download.php
    From: http://www2.gmer.net/ (even though the URL that I'm at says http://www.gmer.net/, not http://www2.gmer.net)

McAfee has detected that your download contains viruses, spyware, and other potentially unwanted programs. These programs can damage your hard drive or steal your personal information.

Download Anyway (or, on the right) Block Download (in red)
    -----------------------------------------

Can someone tell me what is going on? I don't know what to think. Are you asking me to download a potential virus, or do I have a virus, malware, hack that is lying to me about the downloads and sites in order to protect itself, or what?

6. Cottontop3000

I'm still getting the McAfee virus notification I mentioned in my last post when I click the download.exe button at the gmer site. Can someone with McAfee test this link too, to see if this happens to you? Thank you.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084519

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice