1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Quicken 2003

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by sonadam, Jun 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sonadam

sonadam Thread Starter

Hello,
    I had to replace my harddrive and reinstalled Quicken on the new drive. The data was backed up onto 6 floppies and I attempted to restore them. The program said that it "restored successfully", however I cannot open the program at all. Any suggestions?
    Thank you in advance.
    Adam

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi sonadam

Welcome to Tech Support Guy Forums!

If I understand correctly:

You installed Quicken on the new drive, not from a floppy backup?
    Did Quicken start OK at that time?

You reloaded just the data files, into Quicken's directory?
    Did the Quicken data files span the 6 floppies or did it just require 6 floppies for all the data?

Are you attempting to start Quicken from the program's shortcut or by opening one of Quicken's data files?

Are you receiving any error messages at all?

Let us know.

3. sonadam

sonadam Thread Starter

Hi Tech Support Guys,

1. I installed Quicken from the CD that was purchased some months ago. Quicken did start and the dialog box asked me if I was "new" or" already a Qiucken user", I clicked the "already..."
    2. Now it asked me to chose:
    - open a file located on this computer
    -restore a Quicken data file backed up to CD or disk
    -start over and create a new data file
    I said restore.. and went through with the 6 floppies that contained Quicken's backup. When it was done it said "...restored successfully"
    3. I re-opened Quicken and this time, when the 3 previous choices came up I chose "open file located on this computer" and went to Qdata.QDF. The message was "Can't open file" and after that "unable to open selected file".
    4. I also tried <File><File operations><Validate>and highlighted Qdata.QDF, to which the message was "could not validate your file"
    5. When I backed up Quicken to the floppies, it took 6 disks. I didn't quite understand what you meant by "spanning the 6 floppies.
    I hope this helps, thanks
    Adam

4. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Spanning would be where a file could be spread across two or more disks.
    Did you copy the files to the floppies yourself, determining how many files would fit on the disks?
    Or, did you use a program that splits the files and copies them to multiple disks, requesting a new floppy when the first floppy was filled?
    As an example: http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/File-Spanning/3000-2250_2-5667498.html

My concern was perhaps the files were not recreated properly.
    A copy process by itself though can end up with a corrupted file.

If the files were spanned the extensions would have a .QB1 extension.
    http://web.intuit.com/support/quicken/2005/win/6145.html

So is the problem with the files themselves or is it also that Quicken 2003 itself will not start?

Do you still have the data files on the 6 disks?
    If so, delete the data files Quicken restored, then create fresh copies of your backup files on the hard drive and have Quicken *open* the files instead of Restoring them.

If that fails to work, I would suggest uninstalling Quicken 2003 and then Reinstalling, this time answering as New User.
    Then direct it to open your data files.

Are you using a PC or Macintosh?
    Quicken User Forums
    http://www.quickenforum.com/thread.jspa?threadID=600001642&tstart=0&start=-1
    http://www.quickenforum.com/index.jspa?categoryID=1

Let us know what happens.

5. sonadam

sonadam Thread Starter

Hi EA Fiedler,
    I was away and just read your answer.
    - I am using a PC
    -The data spanned 5 discs, I used the backup routine of Quicken itself and it always prompted me to "insert a new disk". They do have the extensions .QB1, QB2.....
    - I copied the backup files to my C drive, but Quicken would not open them.
    -I did delete Quicken and reinstalled it and answered 'New user'
    -It would not open the data because when it tried to <validate file> the message was "Unable to validate your file"
    Any other thoughts?
    Thanks
    Adam

6. sonadam

sonadam Thread Starter

7. EBSchrader

EBSchrader

When I moved to a new computer, I set up Quicken in the new one and then used the *restore backup* function directly from the floppies. It worked like a charm. You shouldn't have to copy them into your computer first! I'd delete that copy and try the restore from the floppies.

8. sonadam

sonadam Thread Starter

Thanks for the answwer but is not that simple. Please read the whole story.

9. EBSchrader

EBSchrader

You needn't be snippy with someone who is trying to help with your problem. If I hadn't *read the whole thing* I wouldn't have responded. Perhaps your copies are bad.

10. sonadam

sonadam Thread Starter

Sorry that you feel slighted, but if you read through the whole correspondence, you would know that i have tried your suggestion, way before I copied the files to the hard drive.
    No matter what path I take, the data disks will not validate. Period. And that is what i need help with, the VALIDATION.
    Good night all

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/376579