1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Quicken says it's my problem

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by CharleyGarrett, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CharleyGarrett

CharleyGarrett Thread Starter

It starts out, I want to download information from my 401k into Quicken, without having to go to the website, write it down and then type it in. But when I try to set up the download, Quicken 2010 Premier won't list my institution. I go to the support site and Prabhakar in India can see my institution on his screen. I redownload Quicken 2010, plus a patch to upgrade it to R8 (from R3). When reinstalling QW10R3, I get a message that says that "online setup information is missing". When I try to run the patch, it won't work. It keeps asking me to reboot to try the patch again. I've gone back to the support site, but they just seem to be in a loop...redownload, reinstall, reboot, turn off antivirus and firewall, etc. I'm sure the software works for others, so I'm not really all that doubtful that there must be something hosed here. Just what is it?

The only other thing I can think of that acts weird is the Vista UAC stuff. For example, I try to uninstall QW10R3, and UAC says the uninstaller has insufficient permission to access x-file, in y-folder. Or my start menu won't show the short cut to something that is installed. In these situations I go to the target folder and right click and "take ownership". That usually fixes it. Well, sometimes, "take ownership" itself will choke on something, and then I'll have to right click the file and do some taking ownership of files more or less manually. So that thing where "take ownership" chokes, that's what I'm talking about as the only other thing that happens from time to time that's weird.

I've got something running called Advanced SystemCare Pro, and it doesn't seem to think that I've got any problems with my computer, but . . .

Is there any sort of utility that can look at my system and really certify that there is nothing broken here? Or if there is something broken, help me figure out what it is and how to fix it?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913716

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice